Utah vs UCLA

Viewing 3 reply threads
      2 1

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

Both Gach lost this game for the Utes in the final 3 minutes. Terrible shots, turnovers, fouls while trying to play hero ball. Tough to watch

Carterdalby
      Ute Fan
      @carterdalby

Damn that sucks

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Shocking! That’s never happened before now has it?

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Does not always work out for him, however, without him we are not there at the end. We need more options for penetration with a threat to finish. Smith did a lot with what he had, did not expect an entertaining and competitive game tonight.

1 2

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Yes, Gach is being put in situations that he is not good enough to handle with the guys around him. He is one of three guys on this team with legitimate raw talent  (the others being lazar and Carlson). Unfortunately both needed a chance to develop under a seasoned veteran, and he never got that.

this team is in desperate need of a consistent player. I thought Henkins would be that guy on offense, but he has completely fallen off a cliff. Don’t know what happened there.

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

How is this the comment that gets downvoted? I didn’t say anything that is even remotely refutable.

AZUteFan
            Ute Fan
            @azutefan

Obviously someone was offended by you referring to Jenkins as Henkins.

Rick
          Ute Fan
          @utebiquitous

I agree. I would add Madsen as a talented player to your list. He can shoot the basketball. He’ll need to make significant strides in the weightroom to contribute in other ways.

Jenkins is actually a cautionary tale for Madsen. All he can really do is shoot the three. Opponents know it and they guard him. He cannot do anything else – not a good enough ball handler or quick enough to penetrate, not a playmaker and a poor defender. I noticed he didn’t come off the bench in the second half last night.

Both needs to be coached the Greg Popovich way – you have one second to shoot, pass or dribble. When he is decisvie with the ball good things can happen. Both’s good moments last night came that way. But Smith is allowing him to search dribble too much. He’s ineffective in those moments. I share Tanute’s frustration stated above but Both is doing some good things.

I love the team defense last night. To play at that level against a UCLA team that brought everyone back from last year was awesome to watch. We had the Bruins frustrated.

I’m not one to blame officiating but in 40 years of attending U games I can’t remember a player getting the kid glove treatment Johnny Juzang received last night. It was a pleasure to watch a player so smooth and under control; but it was equally frustrating to watch the officials (particularly the older referee) favor him like they did. There were some egregious calls where terrific defense by Utah should have been rewarded or simply no whistle should have blown.

Still, the U played at a high level last night against a terrific opponent playing at a high level. Great basketball.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.