Was thinking this morning

Viewing 2 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Is football the only major sport where the players are different on offense and defense?

Baseball – One team

Basketball – One team

Soccer – One team

Hockey – One team

Volleyball – One team

I honestly cannot think of another sport where there is a different set of players on offense and defense.  Am I missing something?

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Well, sports like hockey and soccer have players labelled defenders, though except for the goalies they also get involved in the ohfense.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I thought about that – but the same players remain on the field.  I never thought about this before today.  Prior to the 1960s – many players played both ways in football.  

It would be interesting if baseball put its 9 best batters at the plate and the best defensive players on the field.  Or even more interesting, having the ability to bring a pitcher back into the game after taking him out.  I coached in a little league for years where all players hit and you could take players in and out of the game.  I enjoyed that more than regular baseball rules because it allowed all players more participation and it was just easier to coach.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

MLB pitchers have pitch counts though to save their arms. 

krindor
      Ute Fan
      @krindor

Baseball with the DH and the pitcher is a smaller version of the same thing

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Was thinking this morning