Washington game weather

Viewing 9 reply threads

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

High chance of rain and 15-25 wind. Does that help or hurt our chances? A little early to predict but Seattle gets a lot of rain.

Does that make our struggling throw game worse and make us more conservative on offense. We have not had a rain game yet to see how Barnes can handle a wet ball.

On the other hand Washington is a pass dominant offense. Does it slow them down and make them run more. Penix has a lot more experience playing in the rain but would be interesting how he has done in the past. Some QBs struggle with grip.

Easy to root for bad weather if it helps us win and has no effect on me from the couch. I hope for traveling Ute fans it is a nice day and they don’t get too wet. Go utes

NorthernUte
      Ute Fan
      @northernute24

Their offense is dynamic with lots of passing or little amounts of pass. We are still going to have to stop that running back, not sure who watched the USC game all the way through last week, but that kid is gonna be hard to bring down. Gonna be a tough week either way. Go utes

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

That “kid”, Dillon had exactly 1 [one] 100 yard rushing game in his career prior to the USC game. I would go out on a limb and suggest last week was a “circumstantial” performance not the status quo.

MFury
      Ute Fan
      @mfury

I think it helps, but only based on what I have heard about Washington. Also, I generally think about rain turning football into a run heavy game. If Penix is not affected by the rain – will be tough.

They are pass first, @USC their running was an anomaly – I don’t see how rain can help their throw game, more than grip, receivers can’t cut as hard, harder to create space.

Our run defense is excellent – and rain likely helps make them more one dimensional (or less two dimensional)

Their defense has struggled – we have run fine against bottom tier defenses

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

In a rain game, I hope we concentrate on stopping their run game as priority #1. Keep all passes in front of you and hope they make mistakes with the ball in the wet weather. Offensively we MUST run the football. If we can’t run the ball, we are toast.

ryynoo
      Ute Fan
      @ryynoo

Here is the 10-day forecast for us here in Seattle. Not much rain expected (0.13″) and just showers. Could easily change but not seeming like the weather will be bad:

Seattle 10-day Forecast

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

Same as every other game we need JJ to play. Vaki could be more of a factor also. Barnes will have to run more for sure.

Not sure if the field is turf or grass. Grass gives the receiver an advantage. Turf helps the defense more.

We can’t play conservative and win. Receivers and Barnes have to play their best game to win. Wet grass might help our receivers get more separation.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

Thanks ryynoo. Are you going to the game?

ryynoo
        Ute Fan
        @ryynoo

Still debating, but were planning to go earlier in the year. My wife and 4 of my neighbors are UW grads and we were all going together. I do have a good friend who is a Ute and married to a Husky that is going for sure. We are thinking of having a watch party instead….

ryynoo
        Ute Fan
        @ryynoo

I just add that it can be bitter cold outside with our combination of cool weather and high humidity. 51 degrees can feel like 40 and it often cuts through your clothing. I’m getting old and less adventurous so that is a factor as well.

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

The only thing predictable about Seattle weather in November is that it is going to suck.

Bad weather favors the home team since it is more familiar to them, just like altitude is more familiar to Utah.

ryynoo
        Ute Fan
        @ryynoo

Not sure I’d call our November unpredictable as it is our typically wettest month so probably the most predictable. We average 6.3″ with a chance of rain over 61% of rain in November.

Monthly rainfall Seattle

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

I lived in Bellingham for 30+ years

ryynoo
            Ute Fan
            @ryynoo

I thought Bellingham was rainier than we are in Seattle, but it looks like both cities get roughly the same at ~39″.

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

similar yearly rainfall but the convergence zone for Seattle starts at Arlington and goes south until you meet up with the lee from the Olympics. Same reason Forks is one of the wettest places in the country and Sequim one of the driest, even though they are within an hour by car.

Whatcom County, especially on the coast gets more extreme cold than Seattle because of the proximity of the Cascades and the nor’easters from the Frasier River Valley. Not that it matters but Vancouver, BC is much drier than Bellingham or Seattle even though Bellingham is roughly equidistant between the two. Vancouver is in the lee of the mountains on Vancouver Island while Seattle is affected by the Strait of Juan De Fuca, as well as the marine weather from Elliot Bay and Lakes Union and Washington.

All that being said, I’m not a weatherographer but I have enough anecdotal knowledge to predict that Western Washington weather in November is going to suck. Wet snow, wind, fog and rain in some combination every day is one of the main reasons I moved to Arizona. I never want to have to deal with winter again on a daily basis. I can fly somewhere to find snow if I ever get nostalgic.

MotherJabubu
      Ute Fan
      @motherjabubu

maybe Barnes has some kind of extra hand grip on pig skin

NavyUte
      Ute Fan
      @navyute

The Ute Lady is attending from next to the Tacoma Narrows bridge. Sadly I am a guest speaker in DC or I’d join you in the rain!

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Washington game weather