Watching EWU this morning, a couple things really stand out to me:

Viewing 2 reply threads

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

1 – Taylor’s ability to get one on one matchups. It’s fantastic. The way he can spread a defense out, then he really attacks the LB/S. Puts them on islands then allows his WR’s to make plays. This is one area that our offense has struggled with this spring, because instead of having LB/S’s on the field, we can run 4 CB’s out there. But, he still gets a ton of one on one matchups. It’s amazing to watch. 

2 – Troy Williams has been the best QB this spring. You can argue that Bateman has been #2. So, why is Huntley #2 and not Bateman? 

Huntley looks like a Troy Taylor QB. What Huntley can do with his feet and the run/pass options Taylor like to run…It’s so dangerous. You have a play that starts out as a QB/HB option play. The QB keeps the ball and then pulls it up and throws it. Or, there are a lot of times where the QB makes one read on the pass then runs. BUT, EWU’s QB would make the first pass read, pull it down, start to run and as the LB comes up he would throw it over the LB’ers head for a big gain. So, the play went pass, run, pass. How do you defend that? 

I’m starting to wonder with Bateman playing so well lately if they will let Huntley loose on Saturday (I hope so). Let him play a majority of the snaps, get experience and really ingrain him and give him a chance to go into the fall tied for the starter spot with Williams. If Huntley can get the pass part down of the offense…we become so dangerous then. 

It’s fun to watch. It’s such a different offense. It’s like Leach’s pass heavy offense had a wild night with Kelly’s run/spread offense and this is their baby. It’s a Air Raid offense full of run options. Or, it’s an Oregon Duck offense full of pass options. 

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Been watching the EWU/NDSU game. First two drives, EWU’s offense looks like….an ARod offense. lol. Dropped passes, throws into tight coverage, predictable runs and a completely botched WR pass. lol. That sucked. 

BaldHatu
      Ute Fan
      @baldhatu

Here’s the thing though…. Huntley looks AWWWWEFULLLL.  I went to the scrimmage where he seemed to be getting most of the reps.  He HAD to be sub 50% in his throws.  I counted a number of balls batted down at the line.  A number of throws into coverage.  Jump balls and throws off the back foot.  While there were no interceptions I think that was a matter of luck than skill.  

I am not sold on Bateman as he played at the end of practice against weak defense.  

I truly believe at this point that Huntley may never see of the field with Shelly and Sears coming into the program.  I hope I am wrong on Huntley but I truly did not think he looked good.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I don’t disagree with you at all. But, you have to admit that Huntley can run. He’s 50% of what we need. Bateman is the other 50%. Troy is a nice mix. 

I think they are letting Huntley get so many reps because IF he can figure out…whoa baby, watch out. BUT, that is a BIG IF. Huntley should have redshirted last year. He should redshirt this year. But, in today’s football, that may not be possible. 

The potential is there. Can Taylor bring it out? If so, wow. If not, then I think you are right that Sears or Shelley will be the guy in 2018. 

UteFanatic
        Ute Fan
        @utefanatic

Who’s Sears?

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Four star QB committed to Utah. He has been invited to the Elite 11 camp. 

UteFanatic
            Ute Fan
            @utefanatic

I’m confused.  The only 4-star Sears QB I can find anything about is Jack Sears, who is already at USC and participating in Spring ball.  Is there another Sears?

Utah
              Ute Fan
              @utah

I’m so sorry. It’s freaking Friday. Tuttle. Jack Tuttle is the kid’s name. I read Sears from above and it must have stuck in my mind. 

You are right. Jack Sears is at USC. We went after him hard but didn’t get him. 

Jack Tuttle is the Utah commit. My bad. 

Edited because I’m a space case.

GameForAnyFuss
                Ute Fan
                @gameforanyfuss

Jack Sears is the Utah commit. My bad.

You mean Jack Tuttle 😉

Utah
                  Ute Fan
                  @utah

Oh my goodness, i freaking did it again. shoot me now.

Anonymous
                  Inactive

Who’s on first?

UteFanatic
                Ute Fan
                @utefanatic

Gotcha.  Jack Tuttle looks great.  I’m excited for the future.

BaldHatu
            Ute Fan
            @baldhatu

My bad… I meant Tuttle. 

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Watching EWU this morning, a couple things really stand out to me: