Watching Ute football

Viewing 7 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I love Utah football and have been a big fan for 60 years. But, for me, it’s not a social event. (Pre and post-game is a different story.) I hate watching Utah football with people who do not understand football or are not Utah football fans. Nothing bothers me more when I am watching football than a nonfootball fan asking silly questions like, Why do they run the ball? Shouldn’t they pass more? Why are there four downs> What does ten yards have to do with anything?
      Football is a game of strategy, physical ability, and some luck. I love watching Ute football. But, I don’t like watching Ute football with non-Ute fans either. I don’t mind being at a road game among the opposing fans. I have not had many bad experiences. However, when watching in the comfort of my own home – I either watch by myself or a few other select Utes that have the same passion for the Utes that I do.
      In 2021 when Utah played BYU, a brother of mine from out of town called and asked if he and his wife could come watch the game at our house. His wife is a football novice and he is USU/BYU fan. I told him that he was welcome to come to our house and watch the game upstairs with my wife, while I watched in the basement.
      Oh, one more pet peeve of mine – I hate it when someone feels sorry for the opposing team and wants them to score. I want Utah to win and win big. I enjoy seeing our 2nd and 3rd string players getting the opportunity to play.
      I can watch a non-Utah football game with anyone. I don’t feel bothered by silly questions or who anyone is cheering for. It can be a social event. I much more prefer college football to the NFL. In fact, the only NFL games I typically watch are those that include former Utes.
      Go Utes!!!

8 1

HoosierUte
      Ute Fan
      @hoosierute

Completely agree. I am in the mid-west, and everybody here loves and knows about football. I have converted a lot of my buddies to be Utes fans but I still prefer to watch the games alone or with my wife. I’ve had a full house for the P12 championships and Rose Bowls, it’s just not the same when I am way more invested in the game than anybody else. Everybody else is there for social time. I want to watch and listen to the game. 

For three to four hours most weekends in the fall, “Football is Life.”

Brettski
      Ute Fan
      @brettski

Same here. My wife’s family are all BYU grads and wanted to watch the Vegas Bowl game and couldn’t understand why I didn’t want to be with them.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I can watch football with anyone. I generally tune people out or dominate the conversation to shut them up if they like to talk. 

When it comes to Anime….don’t bother me. I am usually watching subbed(very limited Japanese comprehension)and so I am reading while watching the content. I don’t like to talk. I don’t like to discuss things. It is entirely for me. 

In fact I will watch at home with headphones on. So I understand your point of view. 

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

Knowledgeable fans of any sport are the minority. Requiring a certain level of competency smacks of elitism and has the potential to drive away future fans. From a financial standpoint, I’m sure that any school would rather have a full stadium / arena who can at least manage to stand up and yell whenever the scoreboard tells them to than a thousand know-it-alls who are capable of dissecting zone read packages.

Help the newbies become better fans and you’ll have them for life.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I am fine with any fan who wants to go to the stadium for a game.  I love it when we have new fans who are getting interested in the Utes and contribute to selling our RES.  I just don’t go with people who do not understand the game of football or share the same passion as I do.  That being said, there was a day that I took my children to games so they could learn.  Now, I am older and when I watch a Utah football game – it is an event, not a learning experience or a social activity.

I have to admit, that as a result of very bad eyes, I don’t often attend games anymore.  I set myself up in front of my big screen TV where I can see the action better.

BD
      Ute Fan
      @flyfisherman

I watch the games alone also. I even attend home games alone.

RedUte14
      Ute Fan
      @redute14

amen

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

I watch with Ute Hub chat, and sometimes my wife, also, but she is a very casual football fan with no UU or even Utah connections.  She’s smart enough to know what she doesn’t know, so refrains from strategy suggestions.  Don’t mind a few rules questions as the rules are not always clear to the casual fan.  Many games are late in our timezone so she often goes to bed at halftime.   I don’t like when she asks what I’m laughing about and its some dumb comment or inside joke (sometimes my own – I post for my own amusement) on chat.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Watching Ute football