We all know we need a kicker.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

What about this kid? Apparently he’s immediately eligible, and in the transfer portal. I can’t imagine our staff hasn’t reached out to him.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Looks like a great guy if all your kicks are 30-39 yards, otherwise meh. 1 of 3 20-29 and 1 of 6 40-49.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Well? What do we have now? 0-0 from any distance amirite?

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

My understanding is that there is a walk-on, Jadon Redding, which is not all that unusual for kickers – Automatic Andy came from the ski team.  Redding missed during spring game, but hopefully he can do better than 1 of 3 20-29.  Gravy if he can hit some past 40.  I’m not against bringing in an experienced college kicker, but can’t get too excited about Rowland; after kicking in 2017 for the Shorthorns, he got beat-out by an incoming freshman so did not kick in 2018.

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

OnlyU said he doesn’t think the kicker is currently on campus. I took that to mean he didn’t think Redding was going to be the guy this fall. Take it for what it’s worth but OnlyU tends to have good insight into things.

PlainsUte
              Ute Fan
              @plainsute

Maybe OnlyU and the coaching staff are spoiled by the recent spate of success at kicker.

PhiladelphiaUte
              Ute Fan
              @philadelphiaute

I took that to meaning that the Utah coaching staff is “out looking for” another Kicker; not that they’d already had anyone in particular in mind.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

the difficult thing about GA transfer kickers is that if they were good enough to replace what we had in Matt Gay, they would be entrenched as the starter at their respective school. I suppose if they were at an unknown school they would be looking to transfer, but finding those guys will be difficult.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

We will not replace what we had with Gay for years and years if ever. He was a singular talent, and the NFL saw it that way too.

gUrthBrooks
          Ute Fan
          @hammer

Agree. Let’s just get Johnston back. No pressure kid, just come kick behind a great defense that has your back on a miss.

Puget Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pugetute

I have seen a few decent kickers in person over the years, but few of them explode into the ball with the force that Matt Gay puts on it.  His kicks sounded like Jason Elam’s did. 

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive

Yes! TB is counting on him being the next Elam.

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan
Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football We all know we need a kicker.