What are the odds Bateman is the starting QB come Portland State?

Viewing 9 reply threads

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Right now, I’d say that Troy Williams has a fight on his hands. Bateman is a kid who WON the starting job at Alabama. Now, he wasn’t the most successful with it, but to win that job, you are not a bad QB. 

AND, Huntley, he didn’t suck in the bowl game either. Didn’t throw much in the bowl game, but you know that he wants that job. He didn’t come here to sit on the bench. 

Troy, study up, cause you have some new dogs nipping at your heels. 

May the best man win. I can’t wait for spring ball. This man will not be working come spring time. I didn’t move back to this state to miss spring ball practices. 

Anonymous
      Inactive

how good a fit is he for our new offense?  He spent four years at Bama playing in a drop back pro set passing game.  From the little I’ve looked at of EWU’s offense I don’t see him as a great fit but I could be wrong.  He wouldn’t be the first highly touted prep recruit to underdeliver.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @rickyrules

Cooper can run the football.  He ran quite a bit at Cottonwood and throughout little league at Murray.  Cooper is very smart as well so picking up a new offense should be quite easy for him.  He also has a very strong and accurate arm.  I would say that if they give him a shot at QB he will push Williams and Huntley big time.

TheJuggernaut
      Ute Fan
      @thejuggernaut

“Won the starting job at Alabama” I guess is technically true.

Bateman started ONE game in his Alabama career, and had to be pulled after leading the Tide to a 30-10 deficit against Mississippi. Jake Coker came in and led a comeback that fell short, with Alabama losing 43-37.

Yeah, Bateman won the starting job at Alabama. He got his one start, then was banished to hold for field goals for the duration of his Alabama career.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I’m curious as to what QB we’ve ever had that’s Alabama would be interested in? 

Bateman can play. 

TheJuggernaut
          Ute Fan
          @thejuggernaut

I don’t doubt it, and I’d be ecstatic if he came in, won the job, and led us to a South championship.

Winning the starting job at Alabama didn’t really work out for him, or Alabama. Hopefully we’ll see different results this time around.

Anonymous
          Inactive

Brian Johnson for the win!!!

Anonymous
          Inactive

Alabama unwrapped their 4* Bateman. Played him and returned for store
          credit. His prospects to play QB at Utah are nil.

Anonymous
        Inactive

You’re being generous. He got pulled in the 2nd quarter of that start. From thereon the only play in the Alabama playbook that he executed was “laces out.”

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

I predict he’s our starter.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

My money’s on Huntley.

jamarcus24
      Ute Fan
      @jamarcus24

Whoever has the quickest release with the most accuracy will win the job.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

Portland State? You are reading BYU’s schedule again. (Our first game is North Dakota, which is also in the Big Sky conference).

Bateman is big, strong, has a great arm, and actually has very good speed for his size (4.59 in the 40yd). But he also is completely new to the program, most likely will not get a scholarship (maybe he will get one later in the season), and might disrupt the flow at the QB position and could cause a younger QB to transfer (either Huntley or Shelley), or even end in Jack Tuttle decommitting (if Huntley of Shelley redshirt).

If CB can earn the starting position, then he will be the man to put us in the best position to win. I do believe he will throw the ball a bit, will get on the field as a WR or in some funky Wildcat situations (because he could run the read-option or throw a 50+ yd bomb). But I don’t think he will be the starter.

Troy Williams battled a sprained MCL for most of the season. He had surgery after the bowl game and I suspect he will be 100% ready to go for the season. Huntley will also be much closer to full-speed and will have a bigger playbook than he was allowed last year. I still see the starting battle coming down to Huntley and Williams.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Bateman doesn’t disrupt anything. He is a SR. 

I agree with the rest of your post. 

We have three solid options at QB (maybe 4 with Shelley). 

Thats nice. 

RedLine
          Ute Fan
          @redline

Other than dissonance in a critical position. Huntley, Shelley and Tuttle are the future. Bateman starting means benching Huntley for the season.

Xanthis
      Ute Fan
      @xanthis

0% chance. He will be a WR. 

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

I predict Huntley will be starting.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

I’m going out on a limb here and saying that Bateman will be playing on defense.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football What are the odds Bateman is the starting QB come Portland State?