What do we know about USC?

Viewing 7 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

USC is an interesting team. Many will look at the score of the ND game (48-20) and say that USC’s defense was terrible. The truth is, they only allowed 251 total yards. ND scored a lot of points because of 5 turnovers and a kickoff return for a TD. One of the turnovers was a scoop-and-score and one interception took them to the 2-yard line. I guess the truth is ND didn’t have to generate a lot of yards to score.

How about USC’s less-than-potent offense of only 300 yards? Again, it is difficult to judge because 5 turnovers are 5 fewer possessions. It’s difficult to get yards when you keep losing the ball. I watched the entire game and Caleb Williams and the offense did not sustain drives and did not look like the USC we have seen previously. Williams had three interceptions, but I would only blame him for one.

Arizona also slowed down the USC offense the previous week (365 yards). Arizona is much better than we thought. They gave UW a great game and last weekend manhandled WSU in Pullman. Arizona dropped 7 and sometimes 8 defensive backs against USC. This messed up Caleb Williams and the offense. Scalley will not do that.

My thoughts: USC still has a potent offense. However, some of their vulnerabilities have been exposed in recent weeks. Our defensive weakness is pass coverage. So, I suspect USC will still score around 30 points. We will need to put a lot of pressure on Williams and get some sacks. Hopefully, we can generate some turnovers.

I think the key for us being able to win this game is to have a solid running attack which will keep the ball away from USC. Last Weekend’s game gives me hope that we can run successfully against USC. Of course, for the running game to be successful, we need to be able to pass enough that USC cannot pack the box.

The spread has gone up to 6.5. I think it started at 4.5. Who knows what this all means? Utah can win this game if we can establish a solid running game. If not, we will likely lose by double digits.

Go Utes.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

USC’s defense is legit bad. Yes, they only allowed 251 yards to Notre Dame, but they’re 93rd in the FBS in total defense. That’s the big picture. Why do you say that Scalley won’t try tactics that have been proven to be effective against USC? Just too set in his ways?

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Scalley will not take Ried and Barton out of the game. Scalley will likely come up with his own special D for this game. But he will not take two of his best defenders out IMO. I suppose in some situations – he will play 6 DBs. Scalley will also not likely rush three players on a regular basis. He may do it some, but we are a four-down lineman D.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

We need Bishop to start the game. Last year they attacked the perimeter and made our safeties and corners tackle in space. Plus we tried to pressure and sack Williams.

Second game we adjusted to the perimeter and contained Williams. Make him throw from the pocket. He plays much better in scramble mode. When he gets out of the pocket he is dangerous.7

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

USC lost some key players from last year (e.g. Addison) and their OL is suspect. Notre Dame blew up their OL and Williams threw 5 picks. Not likely to do that again, but the Ute defense is, of course, no slouch. The Ute offense is still sketchy, with the Vaki wrinkle confounding Cal, but might not work as well vs. USC. If this game were at home, I’d be more confident, but I think the Utes have a decent chance on Saturday.

Wish Bishop could play the whole game. Whitt called the call “interesting” and they are appealing but said he’s not aware of a targeting call being overturned after the game.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

Good points plainsute. Vaki is a key this week on defense. Especially if Bishop is out. SC will be ready for him on offense. Maybe use him as a decoy for play action.

In the CCG last year the d ends didn’t let Williams get outside. Hold contain. Let the the d line get the push up the middle for pressure. Throw in some blitzes with Barton and Reid.

We can’t out score them like the first game last year. They want revenge from last year and at home. They will be highly motivated on both sides. We need turnovers and a strong run game.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

We cannot fall way behind to USC as we did in SLC and Vegas and expect to come back. We had Rising, Kincaid, and Bernard. I do not expect Rising to play Saturday and even if he does I suspect a lot of rust. That being said, I believe our defense is much better than we were a year ago.

Brettski
      Ute Fan
      @brettski

I have a hard time seeing the Utes pull it off on Saturday. Maybe 15% chance but hoping for the best. Nothing would be sweeter than sending off those punks with a 3rd straight L against the Utes.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Correction: Fourth straight loss…

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

Our backs are against the wall. We seem to play better when we are the underdog. Whitt Scalley and Ludwig will have us ready to play.

I think we see a different USC team. They have not forgot last years loss that cost them the CFP. They always have talent but not enough effort. Tough task ahead. We are supposed to lose so the pressure falls on them.🤞

RoboUte
      Ute Fan
      @hamplate

Given that we’ve proven we can bottle up Williams with a worse defense in the past it’s up to us to take advantage of their poor defense. Of our make or break games this is the most winnable. I still don’t favor Utah in this game especially given that it’s in LA but my gut tells me it’s a fairly likely outcome that we beat USC and lose to both Washington and Oregon, dashing the championship hopes of both teams.

At least last week’s Washington Oregon game was great, watching those two teams it’s hard to make the case that that wasn’t a championship game preview. Both are significantly better than either Utah or USC, and USC never had a chance with their gauntlet of a 2nd half of the season.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football What do we know about USC?