What happened to next man up?

Viewing 6 reply threads

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Whitt talks about next man up all the time. Why wasn’t that the mentality when Rising went down with a knee injury? Whitt and Co put all their hopes on a miraculous ACL recovery or two rather than trying to find and prepare the next man up. They had to know Johnson didn’t know how to throw an accurate pass. They had to know Barnes’ limitations. We could have gone after a transfer, and we did not. Virtually any transfer at all would have been better than what we have now, so don’t give me this, “who would have come” bulls**t.

The only benefit to keeping Cam around was his leadership, and I suspect the team is beginning to turn on him. They all know he is able to play, and choosing not to. That can’t be good for team morale when the guy who is supposed to be leading you to victory is choosing to sit out and collect a puch larger payday than anyone else on the team.

This defense, if healthy, would be the best ever at Utah. We are wasting that defense on a QB that doesn’t want to play, and backups that don’t know how to play.

RoboUte
      Ute Fan
      @hamplate

Cam Rising had him and about 90% of our fanbase fooled. This team is ready to crash and burn at the whim of Rising and we just paid for it. Will we call it quits or ride it to 6 losses in a row? How much can a team idolize a quarter back like Cam? You’d think the guy was college Baker Mayfield.

You alluded to Cam losing the locker room and I can’t say thats the case but based on the tenor of the team I saw take the field I suspected the same.

MotherJabubu
      Ute Fan
      @motherjabubu

conspiracy theories about Rising sitting out for no reason in particular just comes off as paranoid delusion

RoboUte
        Ute Fan
        @hamplate

I think most believe the reason is his knee. Forgive me for the wild speculation there but my good crystal ball is in the shop.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Who said it was for no reason? No need to straw-man here buddy. He might have a perfectly legitimate reason for choosing not to play. I have no idea, and I don’t care. I don’t feel sorry for guys that get paid s**ttons of money to not play sports.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

We ran out of men.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

LOL… So true. The injuries have been brutal. However, I was mostly referring to the offseason QB situation.

DataUte
      Ute Fan
      @scotwaye

Rose was the next and up and our all-time great defense thumped him and lacerated his liver. Then Barnes was ineffective. Then Nate isn’t picking up the skills and plays. So, yeah, next man up, but we apparently still have boys. That’s OK. They’re college kids playing for themselves, mates, and our entertainment

RoboUte
        Ute Fan
        @hamplate

they used to be anyway. Money finds a way

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

in Cam’s case he is choosing to not play while getting paid a ton of money. It’s hard to say how good Rose was when we don’t know how much better he was than Johnson or Barnes. He may very well be, but to not have an experienced option when they had to have known Cam would miss at least 4 games is a coaching travesty.

DrahtUte
      Ute Fan
      @drahtute

I think you meant what happened to next next next man up

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

I forgot to pack my lucky shoelaces. Whitt made me ride the pine

fosternano
      Ute Fan
      @fosternano

I don’t think Utah would have been able to recruit a decent transfer portal QB regardless.

The idea of being a band aid and playing a few games, vs being able to start with teams like byu, Oregon state, etc. and play all season with the hope of getting drafted next year.

Even if we need a transfer qb for the entire season, that’s not what Utah was selling. Not too surprising there weren’t any takers.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

I’m not asking for Slovis. I’m asking for someone with any confidence throwing a football and running an offense. We don’t have that right now. If the coaches thought Barnes was that guy, they need to be civilly committed.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football What happened to next man up?