Whitt calls timeout when Washington is obviously playing for OT

Viewing 15 reply threads
      10 1

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Then they start passing and win the game with a FG. F**king STUPID.  

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

RiseasUtes
      Ute Fan
      @riseasutes

Worst time out I’ve ever seen.  That was a jackass move by KW.

2 5

NavyUte
      Ute Fan
      @navyute

Ok, after that I am all for firing Whit… That was unacceptable… Even in peewee ball.

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

I’m so mad. Why do you call that timeout? Please, someone smarter than me tell me there was some reason. 

NavyUte
        Ute Fan
        @navyute

We are going for a higher draft pick… Oh wait…

1 1

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

Just to play devil’s advocate, it forces the hand of the other team to potentially make a mistake. The announcer didn’t mind it. 

Whether in regular time, or in OT, you still have to count on your defense to get a stop, right? 

Or am I missing something? 

4 1

Xanthis
          Ute Fan
          @xanthis

What hand? They showed you their hand. They ran the ball with no timeouts left and were preparing for overtime. You save them 8-10 seconds if they were going to try and win the game. Whitt is an idiot and the worst clock manager I have ever seen with 10+ years in the business.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Two halves with horrible clock management to end each half. Both cost you points.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

They had 22 seconds.  Didn’t even need to snap it again and the clock would have been rolling.

1 2

RedRocket
      Ute Fan
      @redrocket

Straight up zoob move there!

RiseasUtes
        Ute Fan
        @riseasutes

Yep, KW taking a page from Sitakes book tonight.  That was beyond ridiculous.  There is 0 reasons to take a TO in that scenario.  If we had 3 Timeouts and had a chance at getting the ball back maybe, but not with only 22 seconds left and 2nd down for Wash.  That was just a dumb decision to go along with many tonight by our coaches.

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

I can’t even…. Faaaaaaak

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

Bad play for us. We we’re trying to march downfield and be the heros instead of getting the first down on a 2nd and 2. That was bad. 

alharmon
      @alharmon

They had this game and they let it slip away. I’m so disappointed. I’m mad at Whitt for calling that time out, you can’t give a QB like Jake Browning another chance. 

3 5

Distantute
      Ute Fan
      @distantute

whit needs to be fired asap. He punts to play for ot then says go ahead and win it in regulation by calling to. He’s a f**king retard.

MotherJabubu
      Ute Fan
      @motherjabubu

Shades of donko blowing all his timeouts to ice the PAT

2 1

SteelUte
      Ute Fan
      @steelute

Game management! 100% on Whitt- that was the stupidest thing I’ve ever see him do. 

fosternano
      Ute Fan
      @fosternano

Washington’s field goal kicker is having a bad night and instead of taking a favorable OT he blows the game…. I’m not one to call for his head but something has got to change. Utah shouldn’t be playing like this with how long they’ve been in the P12 now

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

Wouldn’t Washington get the ball in even better field position in OT though? 

Isn’t it tougher to win on the road in OT as well?

The end of the game was awful. Just trying to see if the timeout was as bad as we all think. 

What am I missing? 

oh10ute
          Ute Fan
          @oh10ute

You’re not missing anything. When a team scores twice in 60 seconds, that’s on the defense. 

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

And 4th and freakn 10…! How how how???

TheOCUte
      Ute Fan
      @theocute

I understand the call if you have all three timeouts and can force something other than the hope of a bad snap, but when the opponent’s kicker is inconsistent, your own defense just gave it up, why not OT? A bad call, period.

TexanUte
      Ute Fan
      @texanute

OT is basically a coin flip proposition. Calling a TO gave WA a chance to not even take it to the OT. Pure probability theory the chances of Browning completing passes down field and getting in FG range was greater than the chance of the Utes getting an INT. It is not a coin flip prop every time Browning drops back to pass. Calling a TO took a game flip prop (OT) since WA had already committed to running out the clock and turned it in to a higher prob that WA could win with the ill advised TO.

Whitt’s a good guy and a good D coordinator but by definition he is a mediocre head coach of a Power 5 team. Maybe his 8th year in Pac 12 (2018) will be his first S. Division outright championship. I wouldn’t bet on it but we can keep hoping…

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Whitt calls timeout when Washington is obviously playing for OT