Whitt Coach’s Luncheon

Viewing 4 reply threads
      31 1

kazute
      Ute Fan
      @kazute

Today was the annual pre-season CCAF luncheon featuring coach Whitt at RES.  For those that follow the boards and news, not much new was shared. But there were a few bits I gleaned.

Whitt seemed to highlight the Freshmen.

He showed a few video clips of Jack Tuttle’s passing ability.  He highlighted the two Freshmen TEs, Kuithe and Fotheringham and showed some clips from them.  Had some great clips of Enis and his ability to catch the deep ball.  Perriman had a clip or two.  Jason Shelly was featured in a clip.  He wanted to show a few of the 60+ yard field goals by Matt Gay, but the assistant didn’t include the clips.  

He ran through the starting lineups, with no real surprises, but I did pick up a few bits.

Mika Tafua will start at DE with Repp in on situational downs (we know that’s for pass rush).

Covey will be the punt returner.

Hansen and Barton as starters at LB.

The O-line is as expected with Ford and another name i missed (I believe Capra, though he has been banged up) at Left Guard.

Yassmin has been banged up and will likely redshirt to learn and adjust to FB.

Kickoff returners are still being evaluated based upon how teams handle the new kickoff rule.  He mentioned that cleanly fielding a fair catch is a key skill given that if you call fair catch at the 5 and catch it you get it at the 25, but if you muff it and fall on it, then the ball is down at the 5.

He mentioned that Tuttle will participate, but were still evaluating how to handle the redshirt.  As of now, if Huntley were to come out in the early games, Shelley would come in.  That could change as the season progesses and how that plays out. 

In any event Kyle, has stated numerous times that redshirts are entirely secondary to getting players in that give you the best chance to win.

Surprised I didn’t see a depth chart come out today. He has been mentioning in interviews that one would be released this week, likely today.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

Just a shout out to all of you that take the time to give those of us that live out of the area a synopsis on this stuff.  It’s GREATLY appreciated and this board has become my prime source for football info because of the likes of Onlyu, BattleGround, Tony, and hell, even Jim Fassel (he keeps us honest).  So THANK YOU and keep the awesome posts coming…

Go Utes!

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Who the hell thumbs down this post?   I am excited to have a FB return!!!

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

I was at the luncheon as well. It was awesome having it at RES! Last year was a hotel. The lunch was pretty good. The only thing I would have liked better is the coaches (especially Whitt) to take a little more time talking and answering questions. 

It seems like lunch was about an hour and then hearing from Whitt, the volleyball coach and AD Harlan was about 20 minutes.

Overall it was really fun.

UtMtBiker
        Ute Fan
        @utmtbiker

How do I get invited to these luncheons.  Is it an annual donnation or season ticket levels?   

1 1

kazute
          Ute Fan
          @kazute

I believe it is just standard crimson club membership. They send an email a couple weeks in advance and then you go to the regular ticket site and order tickets. There is another one in October.

kazute
        Ute Fan
        @kazute

Yes. That is always my feeling. I always come away feeling wanting a bit more. Maybe that is intentional. Other than a game itself though, I am not sure how this could satisfy. More fall camp footage maybe. I go with my dad and it’s a tradition, so I enjoy it.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Like giving you a taste of crack – they need you to come back for more next Thursday!

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

From what you saw, could the 60 yarders gone for more?

kazute
        Ute Fan
        @kazute

Whitt didn’t show the clips of the kicks. He intended to do so, but the assistant hadn’t included them. He said that Gay had kicked 6 or 7 60+ in fall camp, along with the usual caveat about the risk/reward of long field goal tries and field position if you miss vs. punting an pinning them back.

In one interview Troy Taylor mentioned that the kick he saw could have been true from 70. Who knows. Gay has mentioned in an interview that he has made it from 70 using the stand with no line and no game situation. I see him warm up at half-time kicking beyond the 50. That is my favorite part of half-time. They say his leg is stronger this year. Hopefully he keeps the accuracy he had last year.

Great1Ute
          Ute Fan
          @tribute

I wouldn’t expect to see Gay attempt a 60 yarder unless it happens at the end of the game or the half.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Whitt Coach’s Luncheon