Whittingham press conference today

Viewing 6 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

They are trying to help out in Maui and want the fans to help too. It is very tragic there.

The season is here. We have never had an SEC team here in SLC before. We didn’t play well last year. It’s a big challenge for the Utes.

We still have a lot of guys who are questionable for Thursday night. We still don’t know who will be on the field Thursday.

Recruiting is the most important thing in college football. He said he has an excellent staff, not just the assistant coaches.

He will not elaborate on Kuithe or Rising. He said he does not know who will start at QB.

Defense looks good, but there are still some nagging injuries on that side of the ball. He feels they have good depth and will call on this depth on Thursday.

We are in a different place as a program than we were ten years ago. We have a national brand, but we are still a work in progress.

Mertz is a good player but much different player than we faced last season. Mertz will not run as much.

Florida’s two running backs are great and they have very talented wide receivers.

He feels better about scoring when inside 40 yards. A lot of that has to do with kicking. The punting is getting better.

No one knows who will start at QB. Nate has looked good. You will see Nate play for sure in this game. Cam can pass and run, Barnes is a good passer and Nate is a runner. Barnes and Johnson are very different.

Fano will start at left tackle. He has put on weight and holds his own against the number 1 D.

Most of the guys are much more experienced this year.

Glover is one of the most improved players in the RB room.

JJ is much more comfortable and confident than he was last season. He has a natural ability to run the ball. He has learned to block and receive better.

There are pros and cons to playing a top team in game one. It has the players attention and everyone is focused. Will not be able to get some younger players reps.

He feels that this is one of the top two or three teams in his coaching career. He mentioned the 2008 team.

He doesn’t think that the new clock rules will change our approach.

We had 29 missed tackles last year against Florida. Some of that is to be expected against a talented team. They have spent more time tackling in fall camp.

They got a new defensive lineman on campus about a week ago. He won’t play immediately but should contribute this year. (I didn’t catch the name.)

It is a bit scary to me that he said there are so many players with nagging injuries.

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

Thanks for the summary, Proud! Great post as usual.

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

The multiple mentions about injuries (outside of Cam and Brant) has me concerned.

Roy Rangum
        Ute Fan
        @royrangum

It sounds like the D-line is pretty beat up, but as that’s one of the deeper positions for us, fingers crossed we don’t notice it too much.

AZUTE
        Ute Fan
        @azute

Guys are dinged up but everyone is gonna play.
        Anything Whit says at this point is 110% Coach speak.

They absolutely know who will be the starting QB

22Ute22
      Ute Fan
      @utedagoat

So in other words, Cam and Kuithe aren’t playing, and guys on the D-line (probably Tafuna from what I saw) are 50/50. This definitely has me worried.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

He definitely mentioned the many injuries. But, he sounded very upbeat. So, who knows…

BD
      Ute Fan
      @flyfisherman

They got a new defensive lineman on campus about a week ago. He won’t play immediately but should contribute this year. (I didn’t catch the name.)

My guess is Vili:

Vili Taufatofoa

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Whitt’s comment was. “The rich get richer.” This implies that the Dline is very good and the new guy must be pretty good.

22Ute22
        Ute Fan
        @utedagoat

6’4” 260 makes him tied with Van as our biggest DE, and he’s a sophomore this year. Also had 15.5 sacks as a freshman in JUCO. This guys sounds very promising.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I’m excited to hear that Glover has improved. You can tell he knew what he was doing last year, he just needed to learn how to stay on his feet through contact. He’s going to be a great one if he keeps it up.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Whittingham press conference today