Who is the best team in the Pac-12?

Viewing 9 reply threads

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

This early it’s always a balance of weighing “eye tests” and resumes. In no particular order, let’s go through the undefeated:
      Utah – Certainly the best resume with 3 P5 wins including a couple ranked opponents. Defense is incredible, but offense is a massive concern. You’re not going to hold Penix or Williams or OSU to 7 on the road. Will not make the Pac-12 championship without significant improvements.
      Washington – The best “passes the eye test” team. Regardless of how you view the quality of their opponents, the UW offense is a machine that hasn’t been stopped since mid season last year. Their defense has also looked very good.
      USC – Survived a battle in the desert last night against a team that lost 29-0 to a Mtn west foe the week before. Caleb Williams and their weapons can still carve you up, but that defense is still very flawed.
      Oregon – Most talented team in the conference. They’re also considered villains now (and racist to some) by the Deion media brigade. Lanning has his feet under him more now than last year, and they’re a balanced team.
      Washington State – Great resume with wins over ranked Wisconsin and OSU. Ward made a statement last night with 400+ and 4 TDs against a good beavers defense. The way this realignment thing has shaken out has given them a massive chip on their shoulder, and they play like it.

RoboUte
      Ute Fan
      @hamplate

I think Washington with Oregon just behind. I think in fitting fashion that a solid USC team may end up with 3 conference losses.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Washington

1 3

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Washington? They just gave up over 500 yards to a mediocre California team. How will they able to stop Oregon and USC’s offense?

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Cal scored 32 points and was outscored by nearly 30.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

If California can put up over 30 points/500+ yards versus the Huskies in Seattle, that doesn’t bode well for Washington when they play the top echelon of the conference.

Ghost of the HEB
              Ute Fan
              @deseretgentlman

It was 45-12 at half. Cal getting a bunch of garbage time yards and points isn’t grounds for thinking Washington is in trouble.

The Miami Ute
                Ute Fan
                @themiamiute

So, what are you saying? That Washington stopped playing completely in the second half? I once saw Miami lose a 31 point halftime lead to Maryland in the Orange Bowl, so I’m not buying the “garbage time” mantra for an entire half.

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

Right now, I’d rank the P12 as:

1. Washington (look unstoppable)
      2. Oregon (OR and WA are probably 1a and 1b, tbh)
      3. Utah (elite defense, lackluster offense)
      4. USC (elite offense, lackluster defense)
      5. Wazzu (solid team, slight edge after last night)
      6. Oregon State (gonna be really tough)
      7. UCLA (talent and speed, will be interesting to see if/how they respond)
      8. Arizona (plays hard, not enough talent yet)
      9. Colorado (the Deion experience could be in for a rough ride now that teams have film and depth becomes an isssue)
      10. Cal (good D but not enough talent, similar to AZ)
      11. ASU (showed a pulse against USC, which is more than can be said for previous weeks)
      12. Stanford (Turrible)

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

Based on the record and SOS, I’d say Utah, WSU, UO. Based on eye-test, UO, UW, WSU/OSU. Based on who’d beat us if we played them today, I’d put UO, UW, USC, WSU, OSU in front of us. Overall, I’d say UO, UW at 1a, 1b, with a slight edge to UO because they’re more balanced.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Utah has their fourth string QB. Their backup TE and RB. Utah has 8+ starters out. Utah has by far the toughest SOS. Utah is the defending PAC-12 Champion.

And Utah is undefeated.

Until someone beats Utah, it’s Utah. They shown more, they’ve proven more, and they have the best record. Until someone beats them, it’s Utah.

BoiseUTE
      Ute Fan
      @slarson150

Washington for sure

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

Washington is playing good, they are my pick for the team Utah beats twice this year. (USC last year, Oregon the year before)

Jutahjutes55
      Ute Fan
      @jutahjutes55

I didn’t watch much of the Washington game, but I heard that they started to put in their backups which is why Cals offense started producing more, but I am not sure. Also, I think that Washington is the best team from what we have seen, sure their defense gave up points, but Arizona state stopped USCs offense a couple of times, and if Washington can stop USCs offense 1 time which is very likely, their offense will capitalize on a USC defense that let Arizona state score 28 points.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Washington hasn’t played a close game this year so it’ll be interesting to see how they perform in Arizona this weekend. That game could be very intriguing. Classic trap game before the huge collision the following week versus Oregon in Seattle. I’m definitely going to watch it. Last year, both Arizona schools game the Huskies all they could handle and the scandal-plagued/rudderless Sun Devils actually pulled off a massive upset in Tempe. The Wildcats are a better team than that ASU squad so you never know. Strange things happen to cold weather dogs in the desert.

UtahPilot47
      Ute Fan
      @utahpilot

I get why you all pick Washington, Oregon, SC, etc… but none of those teams would be 4-0 with this scedule missing their QB1 and more.

bopahull
        Ute Fan
        @bopahull

The problem (and reality) is we are missing our Starting QB and 8 or 9 more. We are probably down to RB3 as a starting RB. We have managed to win our first 3 games on the backs of our incredible defense, but right now with our offense there are several teams in the PAC that are probably better than we are.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Who is the best team in the Pac-12?