Worst fall season ever for USC?

Viewing 4 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Is this the worst fall season ever for USC?  Consider this:

– Losing record and will not go to a bowl game

– Lost to your rival when they had only won two games previously

– The Rams are dominating the NFL and have now caught the attention of the LA fans.  USC may no longer be LA’s football team.  I think many LA football fans are turning to the Rams and or Chargers.

Add to this the many coaching changes in recent years, NCAA probation and I think USC football is in big trouble IMO.  I don’t think this is a good thing for the conference or the Utes.  It helps to have marquee teams in your conference.  USC still has a big name, but they are a long way away from where they were in 2004.

Brichaute49
      Ute Fan
      @brichaute49

My fear though is they are a sleeping giant. With all of their talent and the right coach they could be right back in it. 

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

USC is never “down”. All it takes is a Whittingham and they are back to never losing. 

jamarcus24
          Ute Fan
          @jamarcus24

To play devil’s advocate, I don’t know if it’s a Whittingham-type that would get USC back to their consistent winning ways.  I think it takes a coach with questionable ethics and a disregard for protocol.  You know, a really likable guy that will give you everything he’s got and then up and bounce on you when he gets found out.

palos_verdes_ute
          Ute Fan
          @palos-verdes-ute

programs like usc are loaded with talent.  you need a coach that can manage the talent.  whitt is not that type of coach.  he’s merrits are to coach up the paucity of talent and make them play like they are 4/5 star atheletes.  

palos_verdes_ute
      Ute Fan
      @palos-verdes-ute

everyone says helton is on his way out, but i don’t necessary think it’s a done deal.  he has a 15 million dollar buyout.  i think swaan is the bigger issue here.  he is inept and not a qualified ad to run a program like usc; he’s just an ABC sideline reporter.  even if helton stays, usc can rise and be competetive.  it’s not like helton did all that bad.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Yeah, he just won a PAC-12 title and Rose Bowl. 

Anonymous
      Inactive

The conference needs two things. First, it needs USC to be USC. Second, it needs to stop favoring the LA market and let the competition happen on the field. Those two things and the rest will take care of itself. 

palos_verdes_ute
        Ute Fan
        @palos-verdes-ute

Have we ever thought of a paradign shift happening?  Maybe, this division champion is the first of many to come?  That in a few years we can actually compete perennially.  This is how a powerhouse emerges.   I’m just saying…

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Never happen but it would be nice. 

Anonymous
            Inactive

I think it could. Oklahoma came from somewhere, they didn’t just appear. Alabama isn’t a large market team. I don’t think it’s out of the question. 

palos_verdes_ute
              Ute Fan
              @palos-verdes-ute

Remember Oklahoma State use to be a truck stop before Les took over.   Of course they have Boone money.  But yeah, to your point….program rises and program falls.  

EagleMountainUte
                Ute Fan
                @battlegroundute

You know why Utah won’t be like USC? USC doesn’t put it’s interests below the rest of the conference ever. Utah has demonstrated that they will take it on the chin for the conference. Look at this season as a whole Larry Scott and the P12 are laughing and lying. 

X723
      Ute Fan
      @x723

If Kyle went there I would say 50 to 60 end up leaving — Will not work for there playing time……………..

palos_verdes_ute
        Ute Fan
        @palos-verdes-ute

I 100% agree.  You have athletes that think they should play because they are an ESPN100.   Whitt doesn’t give a crap about that.  He wants you to run the Xs and Os.  Total conflict…

User Suspended
          @a2ute

What? this makes no sense.  almost EVERY player on USC is a 4-5 star. They have no “rudy’s” and never will.

Anyone who plays at USC know they will need to battle against the nations best to win playing time. Sure, players leave the USC program because of playing time but they are typically replaced with another 5 star talent.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Yeah it is a different mentality. Whitt would make them all earn it. 

palos_verdes_ute
            Ute Fan
            @palos-verdes-ute

I think you missed my point.  It’s not about competing with another 4/5 star player.  It’s about listening to Coach Whitt and running your routes, assignment, etc….most importantly, practice well.    We all know that Whitt won’t play you predicated soley on athleticism.

St George Ute
              Ute Fan
              @stgeorgeute

Simply put, many of the players on USC’s roster have a sense of entitlement and don’t want to put in the work to earn their spot. Much of it comes from years of being told how good they are, that they’ll play in the NFL, parents moving them to teams/schools if they aren’t automatically given the #1 spot, etc.

Hence the term University of Spoiled Children

It takes a certain kind of coach to get players like that to buy into the team first mentality. Nick Saban and Urban Meyer are a couple of the good ones.

User Suspended
              @a2ute

I really don’t think players dictate the culture at USC.  Again, they have too many Top rated players coming in EVERY year to put up with any nonsense.

Not running the correct route? No problem, put in the other *5 star reciever.. problem solved.

Anonymous
                Inactive

They were playing soft even before the losing streak (that we started them on).  There has to be a reason for that. 

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Worst fall season ever for USC?