Can we talk about USC yet?

Viewing 3 reply threads

bigredoso
      Ute Fan
      @bigredoso

They have some injuries. Masina got in trouble. Center is out. Games here. A lot of media types are picking Utah…

utejeph
      Ute Fan
      @utejeph

Id pick Utah right now too. USC looked like a dumpster fire and their QB looked horrible. I know it is Alabama, but c’mon, they have the best recruits in the PAC 12. Plus the reasons you listed, at Home, they have a new coach and they have to play Stanford before us (I think, too lazy to look it up).

Anonymous
      Inactive

I picked Utah to win every year because I felt Whitt was the better coach.  I was wrong more often than I was right. Last season I was really wrong.

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

Was it a Whitt thing or a holy shot Travis you don’t throw to the damn linebacker! Problem last year?

Anonymous
          Inactive

USC seemed to rally around Helton last year. Obviously it was a bandaid because it is unraveling again.  I felt Norris being out for that game other than Wilson’s astigmatism was a huge factor.

UteStuckInSeattle
            Ute Fan
            @utestuckinseattle

The problem with USC is two-fold:

Very poor coaching hires

Since Pete Carrol, the coaching hires have been suspect, at best.

I still don’t understand how Kiffen got the job. Hot wife notwithstanding, I just don’t see what in his resume make USC think he would be a winner. USC may have come out okay after letting Kiffen go had they chosen to give Ed Orgeron the job, but alas another poor choice ensued.

Steve Sarkisian, while having a pretty decent coaching pedigree, also had never really done anything amazing at Washington and his off-field personal issues were pretty well-known even all the way to his playing days at BYU. Unfortunately, Sarkisian left the same week USC played Utah and the team rallied, temporarily, under Clay Helton.

That brings us to Helton where the term “trial by fire” took on a whole new meaning when USC visited Alabama. Helton just isn’t quite ready for the big time job, especially somewhere like USC where expectation are sky-high each season. It was clear that the Trojans were not mentally prepared for that game and, when things started to get out of hand, USC folded.

A team of individuals

With a pretty much limitless pool of talent to pick from, you would think that USC would be dominant every game, every season. Sadly, this level of talent also brings a bit of “elite attitude” in a lot of the players.

The best way I can describe this attitude? USC is made up of a lot of talented individuals who happen to be wearing the same uniform. Many of those players are there solely to play at a high-profile school, get their highlight reel built up and move on to the NFL. While this a goal that many athletes have on many teams, it seems to be pretty rampant as the “sole” goal on teams like USC.

RedLine
              Ute Fan
              @redline

Says a lot about USC that Kiffin was likely their best coach Carroll. Not to mention that Carroll as a hire was hugely unpopular and questioned initially at the time.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Yes, I’ve made a couple USC posts over on the PAC 12 forum, one contains comments from an NFL scout who was at the Alabama game. Some good stuff there.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Can we talk about USC yet?