Catharsis… Tale of the Tape Utah @ Cal

Viewing 1 reply thread

Minnesota Ute
      Ute Fan
      @minnesotaute

As I’ve mentioned previously, at some point following a loss, I have to move on, and the only way I do that is by looking realistically at why we lost.  So here goes:

FG% 41.5% to 40.3% BUT Cal with 72 attempts to our 65, so edge to Cal with 2 more buckets despite lower percentage.

AND

3pt% 28.6% to 25% BUT Cal with 28 attempts to our 14, so net 3 more makes on lower percentage… Edge Cal

We outrebounded them by 6 overall and by 4 on Offensive Boards, Edge Utah

They edged us slightly on assists, 14 to 12, very slight edge Cal

They had 8 steals to our 4, leading to 19 F’ing turnovers for us to just 10 for them, and you can add to that 9 blocks to our 6.  Huge Edge Cal

Despite how frustrated I was with the officials down the stretch, fouls were us 18 to their 23, and we shot 4 more free throws (24 to 20), and made 17 to their 12 (71% to 60%) so big edge to us.  They actually had one starter (Okoroh) and one reserve (Rooks) foul out, and had two more with 4.  We just had one reserve (Sedrick) foul out and two others with 4.  Foul/Ft were a big edge to us.

Bottom line, and I guess I’m starting to sound like a broken record… Turnovers and Steals that result in more possessions and more shots for our oppontents are KILLING us in the close critical games.  Cal took 7 more shots than us and double as many 3 pointers (14).  Over a third of their damn shots came from 3 (39%), and they ONLY SHOT 25% from 3pt range.  WTF

IF we can shoot a higher percentage from 2 and 3, out rebound on offense and defense, get to the line and make our free throws, then all we need to do is TAKE CARE OF THE M’FING BALL and we WIN!!!!

Ok, I’m over it…  (but Larry… fix it)

Minnesota Ute
      Ute Fan
      @minnesotaute

And in case you are wondering who the culprits are:
      Kyle: 5
      Devon: 3
      Zo: 3
      Sedrick: 3
      Jayce: 2

Kuz does so much for us, but for a man… I just don’t know. He shot 1-4 form 3, which with his percentage, you can almost count 1 if not 2 misses as turnovers because he only shoots 28% from 3 but 49% from 2. I still wouldn’t trade him for anybody because he is so athletic and rebounds awesome. But if he wants to lead us to victory against good teams, he needs to understand and embrace his role. Sorry to keep picking on Kuz, but he has only made more than 1 3pt in 2 games all year, 3-4 against ASU and 2-4 against Oregon. Otherwise he is 0 or 1 in every other game. Yet he averages, AVERAGES 3 attempts per game. Kyle stop shooting 3s, you are hurting your team.
      (Edit Add: 61 Attempts is second most on the team after Jojo with 62 and one more than Bonam with 60). And although Bonam is only slightly better percentage wise (32%) he has been 46% in since conference started where as Kyle is only a marginally improved 35%)

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Catharsis… Tale of the Tape Utah @ Cal