SI reports that if the Big 12's proposal to hold a title game with a 10-team …

Viewing 6 reply threads

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

conference doesn’t gain approval next month at the NCAA Convention, then there is a significant chance the league will seek to expand to 12 in the next couple of years.

Here’s the prevailing thought around the Big 12: If its legislation proposal gets shot down, there’s a roughly 70% chance the league will expand during the next year or two in order to get a title game. If the legislation passes, there’s less than a 50% chance of imminent change in the form of the Big 12 adding new members. There are many other variables in play, but this is arguably the biggest.

IS THE BIG 12 SET FOR MAJOR CHANGE OR EXPANSION?

I want to see the Big 12 add a conference championship, I want Notre Dame to join a conference and there is one particular team I want continued to be left out.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

Notre Dame is sorta in the ACC.

But I agree with the second statement …

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

So… I have to be honest.

I also don’t wish a lot of success on BYU.

But you know what I think would guarantee very little success for them?

Inclusion in a P5 conference.

Think about it. It’s not like they’re going to get a rash of better recruits. The lifestyle, honor code, and other issues will still make BYU a less desirable destination.

Yet if they’re in a P5 conference, they’re going to have a schedule that is going to destroy them year in and year out. They would become the Vanderbilt of whatever conference they are in.

What’s so bad about that?

Toss in the fact that more big name programs would come to Utah, and the State of Utah would get more exposure. I think having two P5 programs in our state could be a good thing.

Plus whenever we beat the pants off of them (which will continue to happen, see the comment about recruiting above) it will increase our SOS more than if they were not in a P5 conference.

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

Watching them rack up 10 wins annually on patsy schedules is frustrating. But the Big 12 is a winnable conference. Few tough games at the top, but it doesnt have near the depth as the P12 does. They would play schedules in the 30-40 range. I would love for them to get a taste of what playing a top 20 schedule is like. But is it worth them being in a power conference? I dont know. I kind of enjoy watching them squirm as they look up to us in the CFB hierarchy. If you read between the lines, you see that it bothers the ever loving s*#( out of them. Which is fine with me, considering they consider us to be the most vile scum on earth. Having that over them is really nice.

Best outcome, imo, is the Big 12 expands and skips over them. They abandon ship and join the AAC or MWC. IF they ever joined a P5 conference, I would much rather it be the Pac 12. They would see first hand what life is like in this conference, and enjoy a few losing seasons themselves. We could also play them in a rivalry game that actually matters again, and do it without wasting an OOC game on it.

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

Damn, never thought of that. I couldn’t agree more. They would battle Kansas for the biggest steaming pile every year.

However, I couldn’t handle the media-gasm. I’m also afraid we would not become the “Pac-12 City” I so often dream about. A city where sports media and fans are all Pac-12 all the time and BYU gets the same amount of run as Utah State.

But then again, with your line of thinking, maybe it would be “all Pac-12/Big-12 all the time”.

Hard to say, I hope we never find out.

leftyjace
        Ute Fan
        @leftyjace

I see your point, and I totally appreciate it. You’re right, it would be nice to see BYU melt into obscurity.

I would only personally be happy with them joining a P5 conference if they continued to be horrible and mediocre at best – and every indication is, they would be.

Religion or not, people will only follow a losing program for so long. And if they stay loyal, when their kids get to their own decision making age, they’ll flip to a more successful program because they don’t have their parents’ blind loyalty to the school.

So the longer BYU is a losing, piece of crap program, the better it becomes. Joining a P5 conference increases the likelihood of that happening.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

I suppose byu joining a P5 conference would be bad. They would start getting P5 money, which they could then improve their facilities and such, for better recruiting. I realize it’s tough to recruit to the world’s worst city, provo, but still. I’d rather see them rot in their independent world and disappear.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Salt Lake is the Utes’ town. That POS down south is the zoo’s town.

coriander-seed
      Ute Fan
      @coriander-seed

When and where is the NCAA convention?

89ute
        Ute Fan
        @89ute

San Antonio, January 14-16. I read an article somewhere that the vote on whether or not the Big 12 can have a conference championship game without having to expand is the 15th.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I hope BYU gets invited to the Big 12, it would make football season much more interesting. We could have a rivalry similar to Iowa and Iowa State.

Wilson’s Mustache
        Ute Fan
        @sigmaute

Why would we want a rivalry like Iowa/Iowa State? That rivalry blows. I’m an Iowa student at it isn’t even in the top 5 most interesting games every year. Iowa State is the Big 12 cellar dweller…..

OH I got it now.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football SI reports that if the Big 12's proposal to hold a title game with a 10-team …