USC Coaching

Viewing 5 reply threads

3UteDad
      @3utedad

With all the chaos that has occurred at USC since the end of the Pete Carroll era, why the hell can’t a school like USC make a big time coaching hire? Isn’t this supposed to be one of the best jobs in college football? And the best they can do is a bunch of former USC assistants? Why are they so reluctant to go outside the USC family? Arrogance? Cheapness?

There’s been some speculation that powerful alumni and boosters rule the roost and lack of a strong AD is the problem. Maybe the job isn’t as attractive as we might believe…too much pressure and the distractions of Hollywood for players.

In any case, let’s hope the chaos continues.

Woodutail
      Ute Fan
      @woodutail

I think your spot on with these comments “There’s been some speculation that powerful alumni and boosters rule the roost and lack of a strong AD is the problem. Maybe the job isn’t as attractive as we might believe…too much pressure and the distractions of Hollywood for players”
      I hate watching a U$C game to me its like a Hollywood production instead of football game on their sidelines.
      I am hoping they keep up with the dramatics until Saturday and then they can go back to Hollywood!

Go Utes take down the boys of Troy.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Pride. He boosters are all a bunch of arrogant asses. They know what’s best and they want a USC guy. Even the Lynn Swann hire shows this.

The no brainer is Whitt. Or throw big money (10+ million a year) at Saban/MSU’s coach.

Another ridiculous thing is this live with the spread offense. It’s SO STUPID at USC. You are so much more talented than everyone else.

Line up in I formation and run dive, dive, sweep. John Pease said no one would stop USC if they did that.

But, less knowledgeable people love the pass game.  But if USC went back to the power run game and dominant defense (that Pete Carroll ran) they’d never be stopped.

Whitt would average 11+ wins a year there.

UteStuckInSeattle
        Ute Fan
        @utestuckinseattle

I don’t think Whitt is the definite choice for USC, and it’s not because he isn’t one of the best coaches in the country.

The problem is Whitt’s coaching style isn’t compatible with the mentality at USC.

Whitt expects a blue-collar work ethic and a “family” mentiality across the board. USC is all about a flashy, Hollywood mentality where superstars expect to be treated as such.

USC alumni and boosters wouldn’t be willing to make a major change to how their program operates in order for Whitt’s system to have a chance.

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

And to paraphrase a wise little green man, “That is why [they] fail.”

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

Tom Herman sent out feelers to USC last year. (He is from SoCal)

They didn’t think he had enough experience. So they hired a coach with 18 months experience as an OC.

Lucky for us, because USC + Herman has multiple National Championships written a over it.

I hope Houston can lock him up long term.

RedLine
      Ute Fan
      @redline

A lot of people seem to think that USC can perform just fine with all sorts of distractions due to their talent. Case in point our game with them last year. However, distractions are never a good thing and it’s very possible SC’s distractions off the field will translate to mistakes on the field. I especially hope this to be the case on Friday. Drama in the locker room is never a good thing no matter how talented you are.

Anonymous
      Inactive

“USC is all about a flashy, Hollywood mentality where superstars expect to be treated as such.”

This is why USC needs a tough coach who will break down the 4 and 5 star athletes and their entitled mentality to turn them into a TEAM. Saban does it. Whitt does it with lesser rated players. Our military does it in basic training.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I agree. Whitt would kill it there. You have to remember that he gets to choose his players there. Yeah, Whitt might not bring in as many 5 star kids, but his class will loaded with 4 star kids that will be willing to work.

He’d be Pete Carroll all over again.

Like I said, if USC was smart, they’d throw HUGE money at Saban. Give him 10 million a year. Hell, give him 12. He’s looked at Texas already. He’d leave for 12 per year.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football USC Coaching