Utah has a tendency to play down to the level of their competition

Viewing 4 reply threads

Anonymous
      Inactive

But they also have a tendency to drag their competition down to their level. No one likes it, but it sorta works out.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Insert the “team A gets team B to play team A’s game” commentary….

UtahUteGuy
      Ute Fan
      @utahuteguy

I love it.  Love down and dirty, slog it out in the trenches football.  This is what Kyle Whittingham builds his team to do.  Good running game, strong O-line and D-line, slow down the game, run the clock.  It’s a chess game full of patience and frustration.  Ute fans become confused because we have some athletes who are capable of breaking out, but this is a trap that Kyle wants to avoid.  He knows that when it comes to athleticism, he’ll never overcome the USCs and UCLAs of the world, so he makes those teams play to our strengths.  Kyle can recruit big, fast line talent, especially with the built-in pool of Polynesian talent he has to draw on.  Thus, he focuses on how to make the line talent the focus of our offensive and defensive style.  This frustrates our opponents, but also maddens our fans who constantly want us to go for the glory plays.  That ain’t happening under Kyle’s watch.  Sorry, but we’re always going to have games like OSU while Whittingham is coach.  That’s just the way it is under his regime.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I think his style of coaching is fun and full of intrigue.  I’m on board with this approach going forward.  It provides way more entertainment to me than the WAC past, where the scores would be 54-52.  I would much prefer a score of 19-14 against a team with PAC-12 talent.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

This guy gets it. Nice post. 

If we try to go athlete vs athlete, we will be a 6-8 win team. If we can play to our strengths (big, athletic linemen, RB’s), we have a shot. 

Texasute
      Ute Fan
      @texasute

I agree that Coach Whitt’s style is the best approach for a geographic challenged team like Utah. The other option is to go gimmicky which works for a short time and then ultimately others figure it out. Play tough in the trenches football and you always have a chance against the teams with better athletes.

I just wish Utah would figure out how to put inferior teams away. That 19 – 14 game last Saturday should never have been that close.

Tacoma Ute
        Ute Fan
        @tacomaute

That’s my only problem with him is when he plays not-to-lose as opposed to putting a team away. 

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Why was OSU such an inferior team on Saturday? The fact that no one could throw takes away a lot of advantages Utah had in that game. Then, our OL was severely limited due to the RB and C. So, if you take away the ability to throw the ball with the weather, then you take away a lot of our playbook due to the Center position being so injured, then throw in a RB that hasn’t played in a month…

Were we really that much better than OSU on that day? 

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Right. If we cold put teams away early we could rest starters and give the 2nd and 3rd string some game experience.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah has a tendency to play down to the level of their competition