Winning the south. If not us, who?

Viewing 7 reply threads

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

Hard to make a case for anyone right now. Up until yesterday, the south was going to be taken by USC with maybe UCLA giving them a fight.

For the life of me, I can’t come up with a good argument for any team to win the south based on what we have seen so far.

I doubt CU can do it, but that is about the only prediction I’m comfortable with.

Anonymous
      Inactive

CU definitely has no hope at anything. But I’ll eliminate some others as well.

USC has the most talent but Sarkisian is a train wreck, as evidenced by getting worked by an average Stanford team at home.

UCLA’s QB is Ben Olson II. Not going to happen.

ASU looks to have serious issues stopping the run.

Arizona is solid.

I believe the South Division championship will be decided by our game with Arizona in Tuscon. Hopefully they will continue to be plagued by serious injuries.

89ute
        Ute Fan
        @89ute

Arizona’s problem is their schedule and injured Scooby Wright. Arizona has no byes. They could be a totally different team my November 14th.

RedLine
          Ute Fan
          @redline

Agree they could be very different by November. Hard to tell exactly how good they are since their OOC is altogether weak – as usual. They only beat UTSA by 10 points with Scooby playing part of that game.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by RedLine.

GadValleyUte
          Ute Fan
          @maximumkungfu

We could be a very different team by November too. Maybe I was just expecting too much from this team, but I feel like there’s every chance we get totally worked and do the 2011-2013 0-4 (more likely 0-3) freefall to start P12 play. Then again if we play hard and win or even keep it close in Eugene that could light a fire setting on course for a rematch. I sure hope we come to play next week.

Minneapolitan_Ute
          Ute Fan
          @minneapolitanute

I want to beat Arizona straight up. I don’t wish injuries on anybody.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Not Colorado is all I can think of. Everyone has a chance this year outside of that team. It is so early I don’t have a feel for any team.

Tacoma Ute
        Ute Fan
        @tacomaute

Colorado doesn’t have a chance but I think they will upset at least one of their fellow South members this year. I hope so as long as it’s not us.

Big Kahuna
          Ute Fan
          @bigkahuna

USC’s D did not look like it did the past few years. Losing Leonard Williams hurt U$C more than I first thought. I have similar visceral concerns on Utah losing Orchard and our lack of subsequent pressure although Fitts had a monster game versus Fresneck and was disruptive to put things mildly (2 blocks, fumble for TD, etc.)

First post in a brighter world?

Rick
            Ute Fan
            @rickyrules

When you lose a guy that just eats blocks for lunch like big Leonard they are hard to replace unless you are Utah.

Smack
      Ute Fan
      @smack

Utah. No one else. Except maybe Arizona, USC, or UCLA. 🙂

Seriously, I think Utah has a good shot. But until we play some decent Pac-12 competition, I feel a little like a blind man trying to hit a moth in a closet. (Thanks, Coach Pease.) There’s a lot of guessing going on, but I like our defense a lot, and our offense just might have enough traction on its wheels to grind out some good wins.

GadValleyUte
        Ute Fan
        @maximumkungfu

I know stars encourage weird behavior, but I always liked it as a way of recognizing wit and humor. Like the first line of the previous post. I would red star that. Gonna miss that.

Duhwayne
          Ute Fan
          @duhwayne

Greetings Ute_fans! I like up and down votes.

Tacoma Ute
            Ute Fan
            @tacomaute

Welcome Duhwayne. I would red star your post if I could.

Tony (admin)
              Admin/Founder
              @admin

I just gave you a thumbs up.

3UteDad
                @3utedad

This is weird…when I went to thumbs up a post the little number next to the thumb went from a 2 to a 1. Is my up thumbing technique lacking?

RUUTES
                  Ute Fan
                  @ruutes

same…but when I refresh and come back it appears to fix itself.

oc_ute
      Ute Fan
      @ocute

i think usc is still the team to beat. they are talented everywhere. defense somewhat suspect but they’ll get it together. i think utes and ucla are a close 2nd.

High Uintas
      Ute Fan
      @highuintas

I think we’ve got as good a chance as any but my pick might be USC just because of Kessler. Rosen looked so green and Berkovici has never impressed me like he has others.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

I’m not actually convinced CO can’t win the South, they play hard and have lost a few squeakers. But I think it is more likely that CO will be last. The South is just too tough to call. But this could be Utah’s year, it should be Utah’s year, dang it guys just win! Open up the playbook this week and show the Nike Duck’s who’s boss!

1Colonial
      @1colonial

It’s not going to be ASU. Saw them play Los Lobos and Bercovici is not good. Their D leaves a lot to be desired as well.

My guess is Arizona, then UCLA, then USC, then Utah, then ASU, then CO.

I would love to be wrong though…

Hockeybeard
        Ute Fan
        @hockeybeard

It will be interesting to see how UA’s line holds up coming into conference play. They lost a lot of their guys from last year, and they rely upon that run game to get things done. RichRod seems to be a wizard for the offense though, so maybe they won’t have any dropoff.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Winning the south. If not us, who?