1 Time Transfer Approved

Viewing 2 reply threads

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

NCAA approves 1 time transfer rule

This is huge. The chaos of the transfer portal is here to stay.

I’m of two minds on this one:

1) I like that kids have the opportunity to re-evaluate the decisions they made on which school to attend after they’ve been able to spend time there, just like every other student can. It gives them the same mobility that coaches have. It will also allow schools who may not have been the first choice for a recruit another opportunity to get them in their program.

2) At the same time, I look at all the names in the portal and know that not all of them will be able to find schools to take them on. When I was their age, I only evaluated decisions on reward and ignored the risk. I was bulletproof and everything would work out exactly the way I wanted for no other reason than “I want”. So, while I would like each kid to make the best decision for themselves and get the most out of the opportunity, I feel like many will base their choices on short-term gratification (i.e. potential playing time) v long-term benefits.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

This is a bad idea. Making it a blanket “1 transfer per person” is too blunt of a tool to dissect every S-A’s situation.

The rule should be that when a coach leaves, all players on that team should be allowed a free, immediate transfer. Outside of that, no transfers should be allowed.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

it puts football and men’s basketball in line with all other college sports where players are allowed to transfer without penalty.

i don’t think there should ever be a rule that states a player is only allowed out of their scholarship because a coach leaves.

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

Why not? What’s wrong with making kids stick to the situation they committed to?

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

because you are limiting the population of people who have to follow your rule to only football and men’s basketball. Why should a coach be allowed to break his contract with a school but a student-athlete can’t? Why is a student-athlete in any other sport allowed to give up their scholarship and change schools without penalty but football and men’s basketball have to follow different rules? Why is a scholarship non-athlete also allowed to give up their scholarship to go to a different school but not football or men’s basketball? They all made the same commitment.

If you want to make a rule that applies to all (including coaches) involved and is equitably administered, I could probably get on board. But if you are going to hold only the athletes in the high-revenue sports to a different standard? Sorry, not on board.

GameForAnyFuss
              Ute Fan
              @gameforanyfuss

because you are limiting the population of people who have to follow your rule to only football and men’s basketball.

No I’m not. I think all sports should have the same rules.

Why should a coach be allowed to break his contract with a school but a student-athlete can’t?

They can. Did you read my original post? I said when the coach leaves, the players are allowed to leave. And when the coach doesn’t leave, the players aren’t allowed to leave. It’s actually perfectly fair.

dwainegf
      Ute Fan
      @dwainegf

I like that some may not find landing spots. This may teach them that life isn’t always fair and that decisions have consequences. Of course by the time they are let’s say 10 or so they should already know this. I know my kids did. Armed with that they still didn’t may the best decision every time, but who does. Such is life…..

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 1 Time Transfer Approved