2020 Outlook – The good, the bad, and the unknown

Viewing 4 reply threads

Dwight89
      Ute Fan
      @jordan-buckner

2020 will be an interesting year, for sure. I think there is a lot to like about 2020 along with a lot of pretty big red flags. As objectively as possible I’m going to try and point out the most important factors for 2020:

The Good

1. We’ve got a great stable of running backs, even without DHC. I don’t think we will have as much production as 2019, but enough to have a good year in the run game

2. Experience at WR/TE. We bring back almost everyone here. It was a good group in 2019, I expect them to be just as good, if not better, in 2020.

3. Recruiting. It was our best recruiting class ever. Some of these kids are going to be major contributors in 2020. 

4. Ludwig. He’s such a better coordinator than what we’ve had in the Pac 12 so far. He is also the best QB developer we’ve had since, well, Ludwig. 

The Bad

1. Returning Production. Returning production is a fairly reliable stat that correlates to future success. We are ranked 130 in returning production. This is definitely a red flag, in the sense that it very well could take a year to get all the new blood up to snuff. 

2. The O-line. The o-line got exposed in the last two games of the season. Harding has his work cut out for him to get this group to improve in pass protection

3. QB. Sorry guys, but Huntley just gave us one of the best years of QB play in Pac 12 history. I will bet my house that will not be repeated in 2020 by either Bentley or Rising. QB play very well could be great, but it is, statistically speaking, highly unlikely to reach the heights of 2019. 

The “so so” or unknown

1. Recruiting. Yes it was our best class ever. And yet, our class has an average star ranking of 7th in the Pac 12. Also, no school that doesn’t have a four year top 25 recruiting class has ever won the Pac 12. We had a chance to break that stat, but alas, the better horses won the race. We ain’t there yet. Getting closer, but the facts are the facts on this one. 

2. The o-line. Returning production metrics would say that the o-line should get better this year. I think this might end up being one of the most important factors going into 2020

3. Can the defense reload, or will it take a year to rebuild? Time will tell.

Thoughts?

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I think it is possible to see improvement at the Qb spot. If you want to say it was Huntley go ahead and say it. Huntley had a streak of games in 2018 prior to his his injury that he was one of the best in the nation. Same as this season. Replacing the best RB in Utah history in Moss will not be as simple. 

The biggest bad for me is WR. Utah is clearly weakest at this spot coaching and recruiting. It needs to improve here if you want the Qb to improve. 

Oline got exposed heavily in key games. Didn’t matter in some of them. For instance ASU, Utah offense was dog s**t for the most part. Without the Utah defense and the heavy whistles in that game Utah SHOULD have lost.

In summary the goal should be the same as every team. Win every game and hang up that banner.  15 sacks a game and 15 receiving touchdowns a game should get 15-0.  

Trailgoat
        Ute Fan
        @utahgoat

Agree QB being good. Bad: WRs and Oline. Good: RB, TE, Dline. Overall defense is always good. We’ll know early whether or not the Oline was truly young or just not very good. WR’s disappeared against teams with athletic DBs (ASU, USC, UO, Texas). 

4 1

Johnny
      Ute Fan
      @johnny

Yeah, 2019 football season reminds me much of 1997 in basketball. Couple nut punches, Keith Vanhorn drafted, looked bleak. Next year it was was historical and Andre was the wildcard.

I have a feeling there will be a few wildcards in 2020 for football. Very much looking forward to spring ball.

Its like more and more new guys are getting in before spring each year. Thus the transfer portal. Imagine if someone comes in and shows leadership you know you might not be able to overcome?

Utah football has an upward trend that is more steady than any program out there.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

I think the OB spot will be an upgrade. I love Huntley. But he was limited. I believe the majority of his success was due to Zack moss and Andy Ludwig. Ludwig simplifies the offense for him and made it possible to rely on Kuithe and Zm. But, when teams took that away. He showed how limited and flawed he really was. I never ever questioned the kids heart. I was at the SC game and be looked like the only kid who was terrified. But, he was still limited. Bentley. If there’s one thing we know, he played against real athletes week in and week out. And the kid can throw the rock. Will that translate ? A lot depends on the o- line as you said. But he is a natural. IF the o- line improves (I think they will) just based on experience and being embarrassed last year. Our pass game/ offense could be really good. Our D will come along. We always have and will be good at D even with true freshman all over the place. The difference is we can’t rely on the S to carry us. The offense May have to do that.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

With a more mature OL, the QB could actually be better just from that.

User Suspended
          @a2ute

lol

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

Bunch of returning starters. They’ll be better. Maybe Bam will have had time to develop. It could be a very good OLine next year.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

When the run game was working, Tyler made some spectacular throws. Ludwig really helped him improve his pocket presence. Apparently Bentley lets himself get shaken by a few early woes, and then starts to force stuff. Hopefully Ludwig can design the offense to give him confidence, and keep his head in the game, as well as work to coach that out of him.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Not terrified

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 2020 Outlook – The good, the bad, and the unknown