2024 Polynesian recruiting

Viewing 3 reply threads
      3 1

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I read an article recently that said Utah went 0 for 12 recruiting Polynesians this recruiting season. I thought that’s not good. The article is somewhat wrong in the Utah signed Ellis and his dad is Samoan.

Nonetheless, this year was not a good year for us in landing the top Polynesian players. The Polynesian connection has been the foundation of our football program. I hope this is just an anomaly and next year we get back on track.

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

I think it’s mainly due to us missing on Satuala and moving away from Asiata. The rest of the Polys TSPP took were all lower rated guys that Utah wasn’t interested in.

UteNamedOg
        Ute Fan
        @utenamedog

Take this with a grain of salt because it’s social media, but I read that the former decided for Soak State U because of his eagerness to play offense.

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

Interesting. Well, given that TSPP has become more of a farm team for Utah, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Satuala end up transferring to the U in a year or 2.

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @utebiquitous

Can I quibble with your language a little Proud?

I’d say it’s “a foundation” not “the foundation.” I had a conversation with a coach a few years ago about team construction. He commented that coaches try to be aware of a “thirds construction.” They try for a balance of Caucasian, Black and Polynesian. One of his comments was that if they get too many in any one of those groups it affects the culture negatively.

Like you, I hope this year was an anomaly.

BleedsRedUte
      Ute Fan
      @bleedsredute

I remember the Air Force Academy football coach Fisher Deberry created a Hornets Nest when he stated they didn’t have enough black atheletes to compete with the other schools.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 2024 Polynesian recruiting