4th downs

Viewing 3 reply threads

homer
      Ute Fan
      @homer

I watched numerous teams line up under center and have a back push the qb through the LOS to get 1st downs. With the rule changes seems like a no brainer. If not Huntley, why didn’t Utes use Brumfield under center and push him?

O-block was lacking all season, but short yardage situations weren’t helped by Ludwig’s play calls in those situations.

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

Agree with that. They tried to push the envelope on 4th and 1 and in the last two games and failed which caused a total loss of any momentum and only gave both Oregon and Texas more confidence. 

IF we are going to continue to be this aggressive on 4th down, Ludwig needs to get more creative or at the very least start going under center, which is something I have never understood. Same thing happened at USC. Why have your QB and RB lin up 4-5 yards behind the line of scrimmage when we need 1 yard? Get under center, QB sneak of even do some play action. 

Certainly not all on Moss and Huntley as our oline was/Is just awful but some different play calling in those situations certainly would help.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Agree. Mind boggling why Utah does not have a QB sneak in the play book. Roll Rising out there if there’s fear of TH getting hurt, getting the snap, or whatever the concern is not to run it. Maybe Ludwig does not have confidence in the Oline getting the yard on a QB sneak. Regardless, seems odd. The initial Oregon 4th down same thing. The A gap was open even if the tackle slanted to the gap, all TH had to do is fall forward…partly TIC of course.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Patriots don’t need anything but a QB sneak for a yard. Everyone knows it is coming. I expect they practice it. Knowing the snap count should get you the first step. Fire low. QB can slide left or right to the best opportunity. Tom is not the biggest QB in the NFL, but for them it is rinse and repeat.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.