A little puzzled by this pickup

Viewing 5 reply threads

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

I’m sure Langi is a solid get but it seems strange that we are bringing in another LB when we are already so deep and loaded with talent there. I would think we would use any available scholies on another WR or another Safety, or maybe another talented OT? Not complaining by any stretch here, I am just trying to understand the logic here.
      Utah adds LB Loani Langi

Ute_tastic
      Ute Fan
      @ctbo139pk

Considering that the article said that he is joining as a walk-on, this is a huge addition.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

My bad…I completely missed that detail from a quick scan of the article. Thanks for pointing this out…all makes sense now.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

Exactly, as a WO he is an awesome get. With so many developing LBs we should have very good special teams and the scout team should be able to challenge the offense much better each week. Lot’s of competition for playing time down the line. Very good news.

ALUF
      Ute Fan
      @dbgii77

Enormous

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

This might not fit with this pick up being that he is walking on, but I heard Robert Blechen on the radio a few months back explain their strategy on the transfer portal. #1 is can’t miss guys, I.E. Josh Calvert. Utah was loaded at the LB spot and needed safeties and receivers more, but if you can get some kids, you take them no matter what position they play. #2 is position of need. Not saying Langi is a can’t miss player because he hasn’t played D1 ball yet, but if we see something like that in the future, the coaches must really like him.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

Also keep in mind the LB spot was a point of need this for this cycle. We have several very good athletes coming in but they have yet to take their spots. In the future I do see two Calvert LBs playing together. Hopefully next year we can rotate LBs in sooner that we do typical 2s which keeps the group a bit more healthy. Also Scalley can look at different options to add LBs to short or goal line downs. I look for punt and kick coverage to have better than usual LB spots.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Personally I’m a little puzzled by this pickup:

https://media.giphy.com/media/LwDB6xa7dKBbv2joOB/giphy.gif

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

I’ll take as many talented LB’s as we can get.  They do a lot and thus get banged up a lot.  A good position to be very deep at

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football A little puzzled by this pickup