Adult Beverages

Viewing 11 reply threads

RedRocks
      Ute Fan
      @hypodactylus

So…. the offseason..

I never had the fortune/misfortune of picking up a drinking habit. I am not religious and I am only mildly health conscious, so I am not afraid to try some new things.  I was curious to find out what all the buzz was about when it came to drinking wine (Yes, I am in my 30’s and just now trying wine).  I did some reading and got pretty excited to give some a try.  In my mind, wine would be like drinking some sort of complex juice with various flavors and smells, but at the same time I felt like there must be something else to it that makes it so great (otherwise, why not just drink juice?).

I dare say my excitement turned to disappointment upon trying my first few sips of wine.  Knowing that I would likely want a sweeter (less dry) wine, I tried some White Zinfandel first. It was mildly sweet and flavorful on the tip of my tongue, but turned quite bitter as it moved to the back and sides of my tongue.  According to my research, White Zinfandel is supposed to be one of the least bitter wines.  I then tried some Riesling and some Sauvignon Blanc, both having similar sweetness at the tip and bitterness in the back.

I am not a fan of bitter.  There is a reason they put bittering agents on things that are not to be put in the mouth.  Perhaps I am extra sensitive to bitter tastes, but I instantly failed to see why wine is so popular.  Why not mix a little fruit juice with vinegar and drink that? 😉  Anyway, having done more reading I have discovered that a great majority of popular adult beverages are bitter.  I am also not terribly fond of how I feel after drinking even a small amount of alcohol (slight nausea), but I also tend to be very sensitive to such sensations.

Anyway, I am trying to figure out if I am missing something.  Are there wines that are at least mildly sweet, perhaps tart, but not at all noticeably bitter?  Is all beer bitter as well?  Or am I missing the point that people only drink to get a buzz?  For reference, I have also had Utah grocery store variety Mike’s Hard Lemonade, which basically just tastes like carbonated lemonade (to which I also ask, why not just drink lemonade or soda?)

I know, some of you probably think I am pathetic, but I am just as susceptible to the romanticized portrayal of anything enjoyable; which, in turn, can cause curiosity.  

Thoughts?

gnUTE
      Ute Fan
      @gnute

When I was about 12, my grandma said I was old enough to try “adult cheese.” As you would expect, I was not impressed and didn’t understand why anyone would eat basically old, moldy cheese. Now as an adult, there is nothing I like more than a nasty gorgonzola.  

Some things take a bit of experience to get used to and then enjoy. Then once you are used to the unfamiliar or uncomfortable taste, you start to notice parts of it ypu really like, and then you start to love it. I don’t mean put up with it, i mean really it becomes one of your favorite flavors.  If you are expecting to love the flavor of beer or wine on your first sip, you will likely  never learn to enjoy it.  

As someone who started drinking in his late 30s, I’ll tell you to start with beer before wine, try common, mild, cheap beers and then slowly try the better stuff. I can tell you that I rarely get drunk, but prefer a good beer over almost any other beverage.

RedRocks
        Ute Fan
        @hypodactylus

In retrospect, I think your cheese analogy is what I was expecting: wine would be a new taste that I may or may not like, and I may need to acquire a taste for it. Perhaps what was unexpected, was that the taste was not strange or new, but that it was a familiar taste that I did not like (bitter, vinegar taste). I was hoping for a new taste that I may or may not like, not a well known taste that I did not like. I am acquainted with acquiring a taste for something new, but it was usually not intentional. This leads me to a somewhat philosophical question: why go through the effort to acquire a taste for something that doesn’t add value (or is possibly even detrimental)? I ask, not to disparage, but to understand others and myself. Part of me wants to keep exploring and possibly acquire the taste while another part of me says ‘why bother?’

Mano
      Ute Fan
      @mano

Try some Fireball, it tastes like liquid cinnamon bears.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

I hope West Coast Cutthroat will chime in, because he is a great resource.

As somebody who started occasionally drinking in my 40s (had literally a handful of drinks in the 4 decades prior), I also wanted to like wine. I tried some that was poor quality and it turned me off for a few years. I just wasn’t ready for it and my palate wasn’t sophisticated enough for the more complex and sharp flavors. Also I didn’t recognize how important food pairings can be to the enjoyment of a wine.

Fast forward a few years and I now find that wine is my go-to in most situations. I rarely drink mixed drinks, and will enjoy a good beer during the summer, but year-round I love to have a glass or two of wine with dinner on occasion.

I find that many of the white wines you mentioned have a decent amount of citrus flavor, bordering on grapefruit. This is even more pronounced with Gewürztraminer and Rieslings, and especially in a good Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand. These actually go extremely well with spicy foods like Thai or Chinese dishes.

For a more user-friendly white you could try a good Chardonnay. Many Chardonnays will be more toward the buttery flavor, and are simply divine with a mild salmon, baked fish, or similarly buttery or creamy seafood dish. Keep it away from acidic foods like including tomatoes, or spicy Indian, Chinese, or Mexican dishes. It goes extremely well with a summer salad and a mac-n’-cheese.

I happen to love robust reds, especially when paired with a nice steak or grilled/smoked meats, or saucy beef dishes. Cabernet Sauvignon (esp from California), Malbec (from Argentina), Merlot, etc, are all wonderful. But they are certainly an acquired taste and need to be sipped to be enjoyed.

One thing you might enjoy is a Moscato, but add frozen berries to the drink. Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc, add a nice touch to the wine and will help ease your palate into the new experience. This is a nice drink on a hot day, and many Moscatos are low in alcohol content and thus can be somewhat sweeter.

This link has a good breakdown of types, flavors, pairings, etc. Good luck, and enjoy! Find something that works for you and have a good time with it.

http://winefolly.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/basic-wine-101-guide-infographic-poster.jpg

RedRocks
        Ute Fan
        @hypodactylus

I am considering giving the Moscato a chance. Also, what about dessert wines? How are they different? Sparkling wines?

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

I can’t really relate, because I can drink wine like it’s my job, and the only thing that stops me at about 2 glasses is 1- it makes me tired now that I’m in my 30’s (whereas earlier it was somehow more like an energy drink), and 2 – I’m vain and it’s not good for the waistline.

I second the Chardonnay. It’s a very user-friendly white, as is Pinot Grigio. For reds I like Cabs and Chianti. I personally find sweet wines like Reisling very off-putting after about half a glass, but I know some people love them.

Utemachine
      Ute Fan
      @utemachine

I second the Moscato recommendation. It has a sweet fruityish flavor to it.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I’m a RED wine guy. Cheapo wines suck, and give me headaches. I have two glasses every evening.  That’s it. Good for the heart.  I like many wines that are just barely above the cheapo level.  I especially like wines from Chile, Carmeneres.  I also like chianti’s (fa fa fa fa).  I’m no snob, but was told that if you go cheap, cabernets are “hard to screw up.”

I have friends who are big into scotch.  Tried to like it, but it seems like drinking jet fuel to me, as does most hard alcohol.  Somehow though, I can drink scotch in Scotland and it seems good.

I sometimes enjoy a dessert kind of drink, like Bailey’s irish cream over ice.  Just little sips.  It’s almost like liquid icecream.

Most alcoholic beverages are an acquired taste.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Agree with those who suggest starting with milder drinks, like a light beer (Miller Lite).  If you don’t like any bitter than don’t bother with ales or IPAs. 

Re: hard lemonade, yeah you can add vodka to practically anything (juice, soda, lemonade) and as long as you use reasonable amounts you’ll hardly taste it.

Wines are very personal thing, you have to try several to see what you like.   If you’re having it with dinner, there are different wines that pair better with different food flavors.   Not a fan of sweet wines, myself.  You might try the bolder red wines like a Cabernet and then a Syrah (or Shiraz, to the Aussies) to get the complete spectrum.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

Tony, try some of the Australian wines. Shiraz is a favorite of mine.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

You mean like Yellow Tail or more higher end stuff? Didn’t mind the yellow tail stuff, for budget wine.

Utahute72
          Ute Fan
          @utahute72

I prefer the yellow tail. The higher end is nice, but I think Yellow tail is smoother.

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

Boones Farm. Thank me later.

NavyUte
      Ute Fan
      @navyute

Have a shot or two of everclear, after that even Milwaukees Best will taste good.  The key is to drink it until you like it. 🙂

RedRocks
        Ute Fan
        @hypodactylus

Haha… This is part of the inner dialogue I am having at the moment: If I don’t currently like it, why should I continue trying to like it? I will likely continue to sample different drinks here and there; who knows where it will take me.

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

Hopefully you know I was kidding about Boones Farm. It’s basically distilled ass, and gives the worst hangovers pretty much ever.

I love the smell of wine, but never did get used to the taste. Beer, on the other hand, is the exact opposite. I don’t really enjoy the smell, but it tastes oh so good.

RedRocks
        Ute Fan
        @hypodactylus

Haha.. I had no idea what it was. Good to know 🙂

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Adult Beverages