Aiono will play against AZ, and snap left handed. Right arm in cast.

Viewing 11 reply threads

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I’m not sure that’s a good thing.

Jumpmasterute
      Ute Fan
      @jumpmasterute

Ok, now I’m even more worried about turn overs.

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

Come on guys, where’s your trust in the coaches. Aiono has probably been snapping left handed sun up to sun down for two solid weeks to prepare. And, I’m sure they made him snap with the likes of Lowel, Seni and Stevie pounding on him.

My take is that he passed the test.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

I’m sure they put him through his paces the entire week. This game is too important. They wouldn’t risk the potential for turnovers just simply so they can have him in there blocking, especially when he does have a very capable backup. If he does do this in the game, they will be watching him extremely closely and at the first sign of any iffyness they will take him out.

I trust in Kyle.

GadValleyUte
      Ute Fan
      @maximumkungfu

Must be planning on really pounding with the ground game. I felt Lutui was doing fine, but If they want more O-Linemen available to rotate to keep guys fresh and keep maximum push going then it makes sens to bring in Aiono and let Lutui sub in and beat the hell out of AZ’s D-line.

From what I see and hear of Aiono on videos and the coach’s show I think he wants to play badly and will do anything to get back in. Glad he’s on our team.

Anonymous
      Inactive

What’s wrong with the original snap hand?

GadValleyUte
        Ute Fan
        @maximumkungfu

I don’t think we know the exact injury because coach doesn’t talk injuries unless season ending. Whatever it is (likely fracture) he’s wearing a cast on the right hand.

MTM
      Ute Fan
      @mtm

He says ‘it is a lot easier than it sounds”.

Worst-case, he has played a lot of Guard and Hiva Lutui is a capable Center.

Anonymous
      Inactive

As long as Travis doesn’t take his eyes off the snap before he catches it (see fumble in UW game), he should be able to get it close enough to execute the plays.

Anonymous
      Inactive

That sounds like a terrible idea. Lutui did just fine at center. Aiono could add depth to guard or tackle.

UtahSig
      Ute Fan
      @utahsig

The thing I am more concerned about than snapping is pass blocking with a cast on his hand. Pass blocking is all holding onto the inside of the pads on the defender. With a big club on his right hand, I’m not sure how he does that.

Which leads me to believe that GadValleyUte is correct in saying we might be going for a ground and pound game plan. I am fine with that, keep AZ’s offense off the field and hits them where they have shown weakness.

Honestly, we could run the wishbone for all I care, I just want the W.

9-1 baby!

Anonymous
        Inactive

When have we not won with the ground and pound game plan? Our only loss was due to 3 INTs which lead to 21 points. Take those away and Utah wins 24-21. I’m at the point that they should just stop kidding ourselves with the passing game and go all in with the option run game. Then they could just admit that passing is an after thought and thus everyone’s expectations are in alignment.

Anonymous
          Inactive

The difference between this year and last year is we actually have had some success passing the ball. We’ve been more successful this year by throwing the ball more. 1 loss is better than the 3 losses we had at this point last year.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I fear that practicing hikes left handed in practice won’t quite be the same as with a full-on defensive line and backers blitzing. I hope it doesn’t result in squirly snaps.

oc_ute
        Ute Fan
        @ocute

snapping in the shotgun is way different than when qb is under center….. i say one grounder and sub him out….

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Aiono will play against AZ, and snap left handed. Right arm in cast.