As tough as things are,

Viewing 6 reply threads
      12 1

bopahull
      Ute Fan
      @bopahull

I think it’s silly and probably as dumb as it gets when people are calling for Whit to retire and the old Fire Ludwig thing again.
      I don’t think the offense is good enough to beat anybody right now. When and if we get most of our starters back that will improve. If we don’t get them back then it’s going to be tough.
      I think our RB situation is just as dire if not more dire than QB.
      I think Nate has shown a lot of improvement over the last 2 games. If we need to continue using him, I think his game will continue to get better. I know he had several bad throws but the receivers didn’t help much with all their drops and running routs short of the sticks in 3rd down situations. Not to mention not getting open when he did have time to go through his progressions or was scrambling to get extra time to throw.
      What to do about our running back situation I have no good idea. Perhaps it’s time to give our freshmen a shot.

EMUte#2
      Ute Fan
      @cbanders5

I think it’s time to let the freshman RB’s have a go.

3 6

RoboUte
      Ute Fan
      @hamplate

Lets level set here. If going into week six you’re a top 20 program and you have a bottom 10 offense in college football you are entirely justified in taking issue with coaching and especially the OC. Not only are you justified, it’d be a little silly not to at least bring it up. I’m not sure you’re understanding the magnitude of failure we’re at with the offense.

If being essentially the worst offense in college football isn’t good enough for you to take OC talk seriously I’m genuinely interested, what is?

7 2

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

Love whit, we’ve been extremely lucky to have him.. Watching the game yesterday, he looked exhausted . His window is closing fast , whether you like to admit it or not.

UtMtBiker
        Ute Fan
        @utmtbiker

Whitt has fired OCs for a lot better results. I’m sure it’s on his mind and hard conversations are being had but not much you can do mid season.

3 1

dleto
      Ute Fan
      @dleto

Problem I have with this take is that, as we had demonstrated again last night, it turns out the QB position is pretty important in football (whodathunk, right?) and while we’ve definitely been bitten by the injury bug, we *knew* Cam was injured and might not be back in time (or at all). And the “Plan B” the coaches had prepared has been demonstrated to be woefully inadequate. So the coaches either can’t evaluate QB talent or can’t attract quality QBs which is why it’s perfectly fair to criticize the coaches. I personally don’t want Whitt to step down or be fired (realistically, who do we think we’d get who would be much better), but bringing in someone who has legitimate cred recruiting and training a QB would be a good step imo.

3 2

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

So the coaches either can’t evaluate QB talent or can’t attract quality QBs

both can be true

2 1

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

Agree. They put too many eggs in the Cam basket. We all got sucked in thinking Cam and Brant would be ready for Florida. Obviously the coaching staff felt the same. NJ Rose or Barnes would emerge as the backup. Past failures of portal QBs and worrying about keeping the backups happy led to no portal qb.

I’m sure the coaches would like a redo. Hindsight doesn’t help now.

UtMtBiker
        Ute Fan
        @utmtbiker

Why would they expect the same? Is it typical to return from an ACL repair in 8 months? More often than not, players aren’t ever the same. I can’t think of any good reason that they wouldn’t have hedged thier bets.

ORute
          Ute Fan
          @grute

This completely. just seems wierd to build your offensive identity on someone who likeley wouldnt be back game 1, if at all, and when he does, wont be 100%

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I won’t panic. What ranked team would not be in disarray if they lost all the QBs and RBs off the 2 deep roster, their best pass catcher, best DE, and so many other players off the regular rotation? The injuries have given us a loss. I feel I need to wait and see what Utah does with the break, they have another week before they prep for Cal which will be simple. That is a week+ to sort out who can come back and develop the pieces to recomplete the depth chart. Cal can be the run through for this next depth chart.

Cam and Kuithe might be on the chart. Hopefully, a number of missing pieces return to the chart. Becker and Logan would be good pieces to have. The team we walk out for Cal will be a team that comes back like the last two years, or it will be a team that makes the best of the rest of the year.

3 2

Mdx2
      Ute Fan
      @dvilla

People calling for Witt to retire do not know football. The number of injured players are unrecoverable for any team. This is a solid team when healthy. This just might not be the year that was hoped for.

3 1

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

I don’t believe anyone has been serious about “Whitt needs to retire”. He’s earned the right to put up 8-4 seasons in any manner he would like until he goes to the old coaches office in the sky.

Any time a system has been in place for a long time it is going to seem stale and there is going to be a natural inclination to allow things that might be a normal distraction to others become contentious. Kinda like a marriage.

There are deficiencies at Utah that will cost them games from time to time. Some people, such as myself, like to identify those weakness and speculate on how best to mitigate them. Some people like to assume that the staff will figure them out before they become a problem. Both types want Utah to win every game they play. Both types believe that the other is diametrically opposed to their own viewpoint. It’s the internet. Nobody should be taking anyone else that they’ve never met seriously.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football As tough as things are,