Viewing 4 reply threads

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

15 2

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

Utah has to see the writing on the wall at this point, right..? Make the move to the Big 12.

4 1

Roy Rangum
        Ute Fan
        @royrangum

I wonder if the Big 10 is waiting to see if the four corner schools leave and the PAC-9 officially falls apart, in which case I’m sure Oregon / Washington / Stanford / Cal would be more than happy to join the Big 10 at an initially significantly reduced payout. But regardless I would see that as a win / win for both of them.

But unless the PAC9 is signing on the dotted line for an Apple deal ASAP, I agree it feels like we need to make sure we get a spot in the Big12. (Although if Oregon / Washington are truly going to the big 10, it’s hard for me to see how Utah would be left out of the Big12.)

Rick
          Ute Fan
          @rickyrules

I read somewhere that the regents at the Big 10 schools do not want to be known for destroying the Pac 12 but I bet if the Big 12 starts the process by taking the 4 corners schools then they would be happy to pile it on by taking UW, OU, Cal and Stanford.  OSU and WSU would go to the MWC and that would be the end of it.

UtMtBiker
            Ute Fan
            @utmtbiker

I really don’t think they would care. Their job is to do what is best for their schools. Not blowing up the pac12 is a nice thing to say publicly but it’s not reality.

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

They already destroyed the Pac-12 by taking USC & UCLA, and history will remember it that way.

2 4

Ghost of the HEB
        Ute Fan
        @deseretgentlman

They’re very much waiting to see what happens with the Pac9/Big12 saga — no way would they be first to make a move. Sounds like they’ve essentially just had conversations of “if more schools leave to the Big12 and their media deal officially falls apart, we’ll consider throwing a raft to OR, WA, Stanford and Cal”.

Grayshirt
          Ute Fan
          @grayshirt

And where’s the SEC chatter in all this? Does the SEC care if the B1G makes a deal with Clemson or FSU? 

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

FSU and Clemson have been linked to both. I’ve heard more about Clemson to the SEC than B1G. Geographically and institutionally that makes the most sense. If the B1G takes the PNW, I could see FSU going to the SEC.

Extra Medium
        Ute Fan
        @runningreddude

False. Big 12 is 2nd to last option. If Oregon and UW are off the table Utah is #1 on Big 12’s list. 

1 1

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

I think they’re waiting for AZ, ASU, and UU to bolt, which will kill the PAC, then the B1G can scoop those 4 up without blood on their hands.

HoosierUte
          Ute Fan
          @hoosierute

They have all the blood on their hands already. 

UtMtBiker
          Ute Fan
          @utmtbiker

Blood on thier hands? The LA schools leaving killed the PAC. Now you think they care about optics?

2 1

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

Yep. They are the ones you killed the PAC. All the chatter is they don’t want to be the ones to finish them off. And yes, I do think they care about optics when you have potential law suits on the table. Anyone would.

Extra Medium
      Ute Fan
      @runningreddude

No writing on the wall. Utah needs to beg, lie, or blackmail their way past Cal.

Utah brings more the table than Cal. I can’t argue Utah over Oregon, Stanford, or UW but hell yeah over Cal.

Utah is #37 Cal #40 in progam “value” based on the WSJ report.

SLC is top 10 growing market. The Bay Area is THE top shrinking market.

Cal is not an AAU school, Utah is.  

B1G West – USC, UCLA, UW, OU, Utah, Stanford, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa

B1G East – OSU, Pedo State, Michigan, Northwestern, Michigan State, Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, Illinois, Indiana

That becomes the best/hardest conference in college football. The East would have a few gimme games each year with Maryland, Illinois, Purdue, and Indiana but the West is murders row…except for Minnesota. I mean Furd is a guaranteed win for Utah but no need to advertise that nationally. 

9 Conference games. Meaningless championship because both division winners would be guaranteed spots in the CFP. Most likely 3 teams in the CFP each year. 

Anyone here a PI who wants to look into nefarious actions of B1G presidents so we have blackmail materials? 

Ghost of the HEB
        Ute Fan
        @deseretgentlman

First of all, The University of California-Berkeley is absolutely a member of the AAU and has a prestigious academic reputation. So I don’t think I’d use that as leverage.

Secondly, UCLA has already been sued by the state of California for leaving Cal behind. So UCLA and probably USC will go to bat for Cal if needed.

Extra Medium
          Ute Fan
          @runningreddude

My bad. I missed that. I was looking for the “Cal” logo and totally missed the Berkeley logo. I still hate them. 

Duhwayne
          Ute Fan
          @duhwayne

Cal is arguably the best public university on the planet. All other points made I agree with.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Cal is a better research institution and will be an easy win for the big fish in the conference. Which is also important.

DataUte
        Ute Fan
        @scotwaye

All 4 of these schools (and Utah, and UCLA, and USC) are ALL AAU members.

However, I find it interesting Oregon gets the nod over Utah. Maybe it’s because Oregon/UW make sense as traveling partners. Probably more the Nike $$$ at Oregon.

Utah spent $686M on research in 2022. Oregon? $452M. One message from the B1G to Utah was to spend more on research (most of their schools are spending around $1B or more, which is actually similar to Stan, Cal, UW, etc. btw, Purdue was mid $500M). Also to expand our stadium. SLC is a bigger market than Eugene/most of Oregon, but Oregon has become a more bandwagon brand. I would argue we’ve had more recent success across the athletic dept. This year was a great year (8 conference titles, 6 in the PAC12 [fb, wbb, gym, men’s tennis, softball] + ski and lacrosse! well, and esports)

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Money talks. What’s being lost in all of this is ESPN is going to allow Fox to have the entire west coast except for 65% of what they have in the B12.

1 1

Ghost of the HEB
          Ute Fan
          @deseretgentlman

Oregon’s brand is huge, they have the best tv ratings of remaining PAC teams, and they recruit like a top 10 program. Taking them is a no brainer when it comes to appeasing TV gods.

DataUte
            Ute Fan
            @scotwaye

True. Sometimes I forget that it’s all about football. Not any other sport (with Big 12, maybe MBB considered a little bit). Not academics (although I think B1G still wants to stay predominantly AAU).

Football TV deal $, let the rest figure it out. Just frustrating that some feedback was to increase research money and they’ll ignore that for Oregon who is clearly behind Utah in that regard. Don’t make excuses why someone is not the best fit and then ignore that for another.

Don’t get me wrong – I’d rather have football games played in TX and FL rather than OH, NJ, and MD. Our ‘style’ is more B1G than Big 12 in football though …

Central Coast Ute
              Ute Fan
              @flip2848

Definitely. Personally I think ASU would be a better add than UO too. Phoenix is a huge market, ASU is an AAU school, and they spend more on research than UO. But Nike has a ton of influence.

ryynoo
          Ute Fan
          @ryynoo

Although Oregon is in Eugene, they control the Portland market which is significantly larger than SLC and they have a significant following throughout Washington too. There is almost as much Oregon paraphenalia here is Seattle as UW.

Dallas
        Ute Fan
        @dallas

They B10 schools would absolutely love having Cal with all the prestige it brings in academics and an easy win for their football programs.

//r00t4Utes
      Ute Fan
      @r00t4utes

Of anyone cares, here’s the full article
      Dan’s full article link

5 2

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

YouTube: The Monty Show
        @TheMontyShow
        #BREAKING: PAC 12 sources tell me Arizona, ASU, and Utah are in discussions on a move to the BIG 12 “It is simply a matter of the process playing out”.
        Details coming up on the show:

Rick
          Ute Fan
          @rickyrules

Quoting anything from the Monty Show is highly suspicious but, in this case, might be 100% spot on.  I do not think this “deal” presented yesterday was all that good or we would have had a totally different spin today on it.

Ghost of the HEB
          Ute Fan
          @deseretgentlman

I have a hard time believing anything Monty pushes out. But things are so crazy right now that these fake insiders are throwing things at the wall and some are sticking.

ALUF
            Ute Fan
            @dbgii77

He was right on Colorado but anyone can be right when they throw out 1,000 different things in a year

thirtyfour-thirtyone
          Ute Fan
          @thirtyfour-thirtyone

I think we should all be very thankful for AZ and ASU for showing some solidarity with us instead of stepping on us to get a seat at the table.

My biggest fear is still having the Arizona schools go the the big-12 and the B1G come for the rest, leaving us with OSU, WSU, and the Mountain West.  I will breath a tremendous sigh of relief as soon as something happens other than that scenario.

Tednab
            Ute Fan
            @tednab

Scheer is reporting that his sources indicate Arizona, ASU and Utah are “likely to join the Big-12”

What I’ve heard in recent hours is that ASU has made significant movement in that direction since yesterday.

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

Arizona BOR has just scheduled another meeting for tomorrow. I think we’ll know what’s going to happen by the end of the week.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Friday is usually a good time to announce such things.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Pac-12 B1G re-engaging in expansion talks