Best NFL players who played college in Utah

Viewing 6 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

This is just for fun. I was thinking about the best NFL players by position who played college football for one of Utah’s colleges. This is just what I came up with off the top of my head. I am sure I have missed some guys.

QB – Steve Young – BYU. I don’t believe there can be an argument here.

RB – Jamal Anderson – Utah

WR – Steve Smith – Utah. Roy Jefferson – Utah. BYU’s Puka Nacua could become the best of all if he continues to play like he has.

Offensive Line – Jordan Gross – Utah. Bolles – Utah. (I am sure I am missing some guys here.)

Tight End – Tood Christensen – BYU. We will see what Kincaid will do.

Defensive Line – Merlin Olsen – Utah State (Not even close.)

Linebacker – Fred Warner – BYU and Bobby Wagner – Utah State. Both are excellent.

Corner – Cornell Green – Utah State. Jaylon Johnson may become the best from the state.

Safety – Larry Wilson – Utah. A more modern player would be Eric Weddle.

Punter: Marv Bateman – Utah

Kicker – Matt Gay – Utah

homer
      Ute Fan
      @homer

IIRC, there was a Utah player who played for the undefeated Dolphins

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Two actually. Manny Fernandez and Marv Fleming. Both were very good players.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

Yeap….and Fleming also won four Super Bowls in his career. Two with the Packers and two with the Dolphins. Before the advent of the Patriots’ tyranny with Tom Brady, he held the record for most Super Bowls won as a player. Fernandez was a beast with the “No-Name” defense. He probably should have won the MVP award for Super Bowl VII over Jake Scott.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Here are some Utah guys that are missing:

– Luther Elliss
      – Dave Costa (Four time x Pro Bowl selection at DT/DE)
      – Bob Trumpy (Four time X Pro Bowl selection)
      – Mac Speedie WR (Two time x Pro Bowl selection)

By the way, the NFL considers Larry Wilson to be the best Ute to play in the NFL. Steve Smith is #2.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Great names. But, I did not include Luther Elliss because Merlin Olsen is far and away the best Dlineman to come out of a Utah College. The same thing goes for Speedy Thomas. Steve Smith had a much more prolific pro career. I honestly did not think or consider Costa or Trumpy.

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

Down the road, may have to include Devin Lloyd too

radioUte
      Ute Fan
      @radioute

Hate to add another BYU player for consideration, but Bart Oates was a 5x Pro bowler and 3x Superbowl champion as an NFL center. And I hope that Covey will eventually pass Vai Sikahema as best NFL kick returner from Utah (and for Philadelphia).

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

You are right – I did consider Bart Oates. But, I did not realize he was a 5X pro bowler. It comes down to Jordon Gress and Baert Oates. Bolles has a chance to surpass them.

Interestinf stat on Jordaon Gross. He did not allow a sack during his junior and senior seasons at Utah. That is crazy.

1 1

DataUte
          Ute Fan
          @scotwaye

That is a crazy stat. He didn’t allow a sack because he was holding ;). Don’t get me wrong. I love the guy. I love his story. I love his NFL development. I love that he plays for my city’s team. I love that he spoke to my kids and they still remember (mostly because they are adopted and he was adopted).

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Jordan Love is just getting started! Watch out Steve Young!

Northendzone Ute5
      Ute Fan
      @northendzoneute5

Don’t know if your trying to limit 1 players per position but Marcus Williams and Jaylon Johnson are excellent NFL players and watch out for Dalton Kincaid!

Northendzone Ute5
        Ute Fan
        @northendzoneute5

Also, Chris Kemoeatu had a very good career at Pittsburgh. I know that because I’m a Steelers fan

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Best NFL players who played college in Utah