Viewing 8 reply threads

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

Go Utes!!!

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

Right now, showing our quality wins as ASU and @Washington (obvious Oregon could be added to that list after Friday).

Would be interesting if Cougars had beaten USF, Toledo, and SDSU as they would then be in that list.

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

ASU and UW are probably ranked without their stupid losses to OSU and Colorado, respectively.

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

I thought it was also significant that they kept Oklahoma State in the rankings at 25. For the whole “wins over ranked teams” argument 

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

Maybe USC at #22 offsets that?!

rbmw263
          Ute Fan
          @rbmw263

thats an L vs a W

SalUteopia
            Ute Fan
            @saluteopia

Right, but it also means that Oklahoma has a worse loss. I’m splitting hairs at this point. Beat Oregon convincingly, and none of this will matter.

6 1

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Feels like Rose Bowl with a win over Oregon. A possible blowout win over Oregon and Utah is in the CFP. Obviously moot if Georgia doesn’t lose. 

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

Mullen (CFP committee head) said that the most vigorous debate was between Utah and Oklahoma.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

Does Oklahoma being in there before and Utah not being in CFP yet (and not given chance back in 2004/08 at all) help Sooners or Utes more?

SalUteopia
          Ute Fan
          @saluteopia

I was thinking the same thing. Oklahoma beat a ranked Oklahoma St and still didn’t jump us. Maybe there is Oklahoma fatigue.

Duhwayne
        Ute Fan
        @duhwayne

Mullen (CFP committee head) said that the most vigorous debate was between Utah and Oklahoma.

This is why more teams are better. The most controversy is going to be at the cutoff. At 64 teams, March madness never gets accused of excluding a viable champion. 8 would be better than 4, and sixteen is what the other football leagues do. I would love to have a 64 team league of 14 team divisions and a national championship of 8 with top two finishers from each division, with relegation a la premier league for lesser teams that outperform. The current system is so GD old boy focused. 

HoosierUte
      Ute Fan
      @hoosierute

kinda feels like they are setting us up to get passed over win or lose

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

I think a convincing win puts us in the Rose Bowl. Everything else is beyond control.

X723
          Ute Fan
          @x723

I think a convincing win puts us in the Rose Bowl. Everything else is beyond control.

My response…

UtesRock
        Ute Fan
        @utahrockon

Seems that way to me. The placement of Baylor at no. 7, says to me if they beat OU soundly they leapfrog us. Utah hopefully can put up a big win.

BulgieUte
        Ute Fan
        @bulgieute

I can’t follow this gloomy outlook given the committee’s rankings this week. If they wanted to have Oklahoma jump us why didn’t they do exactly that? Oklahoma just beat a ranked OSU on the road while we beat a 5-7 team at home yet they didn’t jump us this week. Why would they jump us if we both beat ranked teams and win our conferences? Where’s the major change that would cause a complete reversal of their current rankings?

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Dramatic effect?  Keep the discussion going one more week. Then the big reveal. CFP are smart. 

BulgieUte
            Ute Fan
            @bulgieute

You honestly think ranking Oklahoma ahead of Utah now as opposed to next week would decrease the drama and conversation? 

DrJazzy
      Ute Fan
      @docute

Kinda surprised that OK didn’t jump us. Here is how I see this playing out: if all things are equal (both UT and OK wins and all things being equal – neither victory stands out over the other) then OK will likely jump us for that 4th spot. 

If Baylor beats OK – because we are ahead of OK currently, unlikely that Baylor would then jump us and we are the 4th team. 

Root your ass off for Baylor. And LSU of course. And maybe hail mary for Virginia on top. 

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

Agree with these scenarios.

Mule
          Ute Fan
          @mule

Assuming LSU beats GA:
          1. Win big, we’re in.
          2. Close Utah win, close OK or Bay win, we’re in.
          3. Close Utah win, big Baylor win, we’re probably still in.
          4. Close Utah win, big OK win, we’re probably out.

gothamute
            Ute Fan
            @gothamute

Yep, think this ^ is exactly right

Distantute
          Ute Fan
          @distantute

They said the most debate was around utah ou. Theres 13 members. That tells me theres at least 7 strongly in utahs camp if they win out and look good. That majority wont waver.

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

I think it comes down to our dominant defense. I think that is the differentiator. They’ve seen Utah dominate since USC, our defense is right there with OSU and Clemson’s. If we give up 30 points, I think we are in trouble, if we keep Oregon below 20 and win by 10+, I think we are in the playoff (assuming the top-3 all win).

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

Here is why we are ranked above Oklahoma and why we will continue to be if we beat Oregon. OK was rollin’ strong until the K-St loss. Struggled with TCU and ISU while we continued to pummel the hell out of people.
      vs HOU W49-31
      vs SDAK W70-14
      @ UCLA W48-14
      vs TTU W55-16
      @ KU W45-20
      vs 11 TEX W34-27
      vs WVU W52-14
      @ KSU L48-41
      vs ISU W42-41
      @ 13 BAY W34-31
      vs TCU W28-24
      @ 21 OKST W34-16

Hit this LINK if you want to avoid the jumbled mess.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football CFP Rankings – Utah #5 OK #6 Baylor #7 Oregon#13