Chemistry

Viewing 2 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Barefield has skills, and is a ball hog. When he was out because of injury the team began to gel and PVD really started to play well, even won a game for us.  Last night PVD started out well, but in the 2nd half it was Barefield playing instead.  When Barefield is in you notice that Bibbins has the ball in his hands much less, which is bad.  And when the shot clock is winding down it was just Barefield one-on-one.  He did manage to make one with no time left, but there’s no “team” going on at that point.  Just an individual.

I also have said many times, that as good as coach K is, he’s mediocre at best at the end of games.  Now mind you, I probably watched every game Majerus coached as a Ute, so my bar is pretty high.

snafu
      Ute Fan
      @snafu

How do we know that is a coaching thing? On the final play, it appears that Barefield went for it when the plan was to get a shot for Bibbins. The play worked to perfection and Barefield didn’t execute it. 

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

So is that coaching or not?  If the play is called and everyone knows it is a draw and kick situation, but Barefield doesn’t kick it, whose fault is that? The coach needs to get his players all on the same page, with the players HE recruited and coached all season. If a player can’t do that, then why is he in the game?

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Coaching can only take you so far. I am very hyped for Doutrive and this incoming class. If Utah doesn’t win the PAC12 and go at least to the sweet 16 I will be disappointed with Larry to the point of firing him. 

My replacement would be Tommy Connor. 

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I think it’s more than fair to really start judging Larry harshly after the next season. He gutted the team and rebuilt it. Then he went after big time players and swung and missed badly. Now, he is bringing in a good class, has almost his whole team remaining. 

I stated this on another Utah site and was hammered for it:

Larry makes too much money for these kind of results. 

He hasn’t done a terrible job. He has done a nice job. BUT, he is top 25 in coaching salaries in the country. He plays in the PAC-12. He has some of the nicest facilities in the country. 

The bar has been set with salaries, facitlities and opportunity. We should be a top 25 team 3 out of 4 years. We should be in the dance 8 out of 10 years. 

And he hasn’t done that. NOW, he is a fantastic coach. I don’t think his seat should even be warm. BUT, if we miss the dance next year, his seat should be flaming hot. 

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

The only * I would put on that is Larry hasn’t cheated to the extent of his peers. Which is why I believe he gets a pass.

As far as salary goes I am fine with what he makes. That is what Utah coaches should be paid and another program is more than willing to pay him. I think the salary not only retains good coaches but it may attract better ones in the future. 

belli1976
            Ute Fan
            @belli1976

My gripe would be the slow down offense the last 5-6 minutes. I don’t get why Larry does it. But he is consistent with it. One thing missing, that was a phenomenal block by Wooten. He stepped towards barfield and was still able to recover to block the reverse. I thought barfield had the reverse but Wooten is an athlete. 

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

The slowdown game is the basketball equivalent of the prevent yourself from winning defense. Go away from what gave you the lead in the first place, then do the desperation huck when no time is left on the shot clock.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.