Chip Kelley out

Viewing 6 reply threads

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

Looks like Chip Kelly will be fired. According to articles on the UCLA football website. Cheap buyout at 7-9 million. Cheap???? Compared to 77 million for Jumbo Jim.

7-9 million put into NIL would help sign some good players. It blows my mind how much money demands are being put on big boosters. At what point do they tap out? The deepest pockets give all the blue blood programs a huge advantage over the rest of the field.

Something has to give. NIL cap? Football budget cap? Money is ruining college football. Same 4 or 5 teams every year in CFP. Cinderella has lost both slippers. TCU last year actually gave us hope. I found myself rooting for them.

At least expanded CFP will invite more teams to the dance. With the the blue bloods set up with byes. Same end results with final 4.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

so they must have someone in mind to replace him. Who might that be?

Utegator
        Ute Fan
        @utegator

If history repeats itself, they will hire Jimbo Fisher like Kevin Sumlin at UofA.

jamarcus24
        Ute Fan
        @jamarcus24

Jeff Fisch was at UCLA before Chip. Not an overall impressive head coaching resume, however he seems to have Arizona headed in the right direction. Their recruiting classes have been pretty good the last couple years and he’s got that program on the up and up.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

Jedd was there with him as well. At AZ he seems to have found a place to settle down.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

Fisch took a dumpster fire and has it in contention for a conference championship in his 3rd year. That’s excellent for a “to the studs” rebuild. There’s no guarantee he could duplicate that anywhere else but he has done extremely well for his first HC experience, everything considered.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Seems like he was doing a decent job.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

The new coach will need a big finger to plug the hole in the dike. It’s ready to break. Transfer portal will be buzzing with UCLA players. Add another gimme game for the Big Ten blue bloods.

fosternano
      Ute Fan
      @fosternano

UCLA was a bit of a dumpster fire when he took over, he’s done a decent job with what he was given.

Firing your coach as you go into a new conference….say hello to 3-9 at best next year.

J Rocksville
      Ute Fan
      @jrocksville

It’s not like UCLA has a rich football history. The last two seasons were probably their best in the last 25 years. Almost feels like a cost saving move. Promote a coordinator, cut a few million off of the bill for a few seasons.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Man. I’m surprised. Kelly did ok, has a five star freshman QB and a solid defense. He looks like he’s ready to build his program and get great.

This is why programs like UCLA are never good. They aren’t patient enough.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

He’s been getting top 10 money and put up a .500 record in 6 years. That last 3 have been better than the first 2 but this could very well be his 4th losing conference record in those 6 years. If they fire him, it’s not like they would need to make up reasons to let him go.

His buyout is also very affordable. I don’t know when his contract is up but if they aren’t going to extend him, why not make the move when it makes the most sense financially? “What should be done eventually must be done immediately”

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Sure, but he didn’t have a good program at all when he took over. Their team was devoid of talent.

And yeah, there are always reasons to fire a guy. Hell, most around here thought Whitt should be gone after two 5-7 seasons. Doesn’t mean you should do it.

So, who does UCLA go get? And how are they better than Chip? I dunno. I think I’d give him one more year. Like I said, he has a very, very good defense and he has his QB. That’s huge.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

We won’t know if whoever they get to replace him will be better for a couple of years For UCLA, I assume the calculus comes down do whether 2-3 more seasons of roughly the same and then making a change is cheaper than making the change now. Unless the expectation is that they will be conference contenders immediately in the B1G, I would say that now makes the most sense.

Whitt was a different story. The transition from G5 to P5 was always going to require a new roster standard. UCLA, with all of their resources and P5 experience, should already have a roster at or above B1G standard. And a coaching staff that can take that roster and have it perform at it’s optimum level.

In my opinion, there have only been two acceptable times in Whitt’s career to have questioned whether the program needed a new direction. The 1-3 start in 2007 including getting trucked by a historically bad UNLV program and the regression in 2017. He turned 2007 into 9-4 and followed up 2017 with 9-5 and a spot in the CCG.

Kelly, on the other hand, came with high expectations and sold UCLA on a 3 year rebuild. He ran off most of the previous roster and rebuilt it based on his plan. So if he is not meeting the expectations that he set, it is appropriate for UCLA to look into making a change.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Chip Kelley out