College basketball used to be my 2nd favorite sport

Viewing 3 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Now, I am not sure it is in my top ten. Part of it is due to Utah’s terrible play for so many years. But, men’s college Bball is simply not the same. With the portal and at least 25% of the players leaving each year – it is harder to get behind individual players. I am not sure I will ever follow men’s basketball like I did for the first 60 years of my life.
      Women’s basketball is another story. The 2022/23 Utes were very fun and it appears that we may be a top-ten team to start next season. I never thought I would say this, but I enjoy women’s basketball more than men’s basketball.
      Go Utes!!!

radioUte
      Ute Fan
      @radioute

Thank you for defining a bandwagon fan.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Nah.  It’s more about where college basketball has gone with one-and-done, the portal, pay-for-play, etc.  I’m sorry – it’s just not the same.  I admitted that Utah’s poor play has added to my disinterest.  However, I watched a grand total of zero basketball during march madness.

I have not ever been a bandwagon Ute fan.  I had season tickets and rarely if ever missed a game during the lackluster Archibald years during the 80s.  I have been a loyal Ute in all sports, but men’s college basketball just doesn’t interest me much anymore.  

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

True, when I went to school students waited in line to get in and that took serious time for big games. And that was long before the Majerus years when it only got worse. Then a seat below the concourse was rarely ever available and more than half of the upper bowl was season tickets. Too many entertainment options available today make that hard to repeat. UofA seems to have that figured out.

Still, much like football, fans that support and watch the lean years will appreciate eventual success far, far more than fans that pick it up when it becomes hot. The just arrived football fans think a conference championship is ordinary, the long time fans understand something else.

ProudUte
            Ute Fan
            @proudute

Yeah, I watched the lean year in football.  I had season tickets for the two 1-10 seasons in the mid-70s.  As bad as we were, I enjoyed the games.  There was no pressure to win.  My buddy and I just had fun going to the games.  I have always been a football-first fan even in the days when we were much better at basketball.  I really enjoy football because of the strategy that goes into every play.

bopahull
              Ute Fan
              @bopahull

It was sure easier to take a leak and grab a braut at halftime and be back in your seat before the team came back on the field. 

Charlie
                Ute Fan
                @charlie

You made me laugh as I remember the two paths on the west side thru trees and bushes which turned into open air urinals at halftime (not me of course) and the dozen hot dogs (actually always 13) for $10. We grab a bag of dogs and a handful of each condiment and speed back to our seats where we already had a cooler of beer and sodas we carried in.

4 1

RedRocks
        Ute Fan
        @hypodactylus

This mentality is so lame. I wish ‘fandom’ gatekeeping would go away.  You should embrace people who share a common interest, even if they enjoy it differently.

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

@proudute, what are your favorite sports now?

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

My list (in approximate order): world football, cycling, bouldering, college soccer, college hockey, college football, NHL, WHL, college skiing, college basketball, UFC, Battlebots

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

I also enjoy watching poker and lumberjack events.

Minnesota Ute
      Ute Fan
      @minnesotaute

I’m the guy who has rarely missed a game, through thick and thin, since 1989.  Even I am struggling a bit.  I watched every single game this year, and I like a lot of what I see from Craig on the coaching side.  But when I look at the size, speed, and talent displayed in the NCAA tourney this year, I am very apprehensive about what things look like for us going forward.

I have a deep seated fear that our lack of butts in the seats when team is struggling, coupled with the shear size of the Hunty, leaves our players underwhelmed when playing at home.  Then they go on the road and experience a different environment and with the portal available to them… 

I know it’s easy for someone half a country away to say, but when I watch games and see all the empty seats, it just makes me worried and a little depressed.  Is it better to have a crackerbox gym and pack it every game??

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) College basketball used to be my 2nd favorite sport