Compensation for college athletes is the right thing to do

Viewing 2 reply threads
      2 4

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

SCOTUS was absolutely right to do what they did. The athletes are already compensated for what they do, but being prohibited from making money off of their likeness, when the NCAA is making oodles of money of of them is criminal. 

Also, I don’t think this will increase the gap between the blue bloods and everyone else as much as some seem to think. Those programs are already getting the best of the best, paying the best players doesn’t make them better players. There will be massive bidding wars for the elite recruits amongst the top dog programs. How is that any different than now? 

it will hurt some schools but won’t make a huge difference overall 

5 3

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

My thoughts: It’s not criminal. Inherently, college is a provided service by each state to the state residents and some non-residents. If athletes don’t want the college experience, they can go semi-pro, go the canada football route, or wait and go to the NFL. IF YOU WANT TO MAKE MONEY OFF YOUR LIKENESS, GO DO IT, BUT DON’T DO IT WEARING OUR JERSEY AND “LIKENESS” AND LET’S SEE WHERE THAT GETS YOU. If you can do it on your own, great! These universities which are really owned by the state tax payers have paid for infrastructure for 100 years to create an environment in which athletes can be exposed and further the careers if they are good enough.  

3 1

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Lol, all time bad take right here.

what other organization other than the NCAA prohibits its members from profiting off their own likeness??? This isn’t about whether or not it’s good for the team you cheer for. This is about a useless, draconian institution telling its members, who are the ONLY thing generating money for that organization, that they can’t use their own image to make extra money! The NCAA has made billions upon billions off of these people, and has kept the vast majority of that wealth out of the hands of the people who made it happen. Not only are they not sharing a piece of the existing revenue pie… they won’t even ALLOW them to make their own damned pie! 

also, I would argue that it is indeed criminal considering the recent SCOTUS decision.

if that means the Ute football team eventually turns into a semi professional non UofU team, that’s perfectly fine with me. The Europe model of running sports teams is much much better.

3 1

Ute Dub
          Ute Fan
          @chestercopperpot

Per your own argument, the athletes are already compensated.  And if you understand the endowment process I think you will realize that the budget for the infrastructure comes mostly from donors or the tax payer and tuition contributors which have kep the University afloat. 99% of college athletes have a recognizable “likeness” because of the school they are attending which has facilitated TV contracts to provide exposure and built up a program across many decades and the true genesis of the likeness is through the University.

So now you are opening the door to tie semi professional sports in with the University and I think those things should remain separate. You’re looking to set up contractual negotiations with 18-22 year old kids across multiple years and potentially many negotiations? Sounds like a nightmare to me. I’d rather keep the goals of the University separate from professional contracts with kids who are still in “School”. Like I said, go play semi pro football if that’s what you want and try for an endorsement there. 

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Except not all Universities are owned by the “Tax payers”. Also they built those infrastructures off the labor of student athletes. Don’t see the point you are trying to make here.
        NCAA can take a long walk off of a short pier as far as I am concerned.

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

Though you are correct that this wasn’t directly NIL related

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

You are probably the same kind of dope that tells people to move if they don’t think certain things about our country are perfect.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

No need to insult someone. We are all friends here.

dystopiamembrane
            Ute Fan
            @dystopiamembrane

Didn’t I mention their former troll status a few days a go?

dystopiamembrane
              Ute Fan
              @dystopiamembrane

Also, please see my post about misanthropy.

dystopiamembrane
            Ute Fan
            @dystopiamembrane

PS We are certainly not all friends here.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

No name calling please. Thanks.

Ute Dub
          Ute Fan
          @chestercopperpot

I don’t understand how this attempt of insult addresses the argument in any way. 

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I didn’t read anything about NIL in this SCOTUS decision. This is about letting players get things like laptops and paid internships.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Yeah, which they weren’t allowed to do because they aren’t allowed to profit off of their likenesses. 

Prohibiting universities from further compensation of athletes is unethical, and the SCOTUS knows this

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Profilting off of likeness and direct payments are completely different. Likeness, would be a picture or jersey, etc. Paying the player with a laptop or a paycheck is not a NIL issue. Furthermore, the SCOTUS ruling doesn’t force universities to pay players with these things, it says they can. If they do, the players will have to pay taxes on them.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Pac-12 Compensation for college athletes is the right thing to do