Crystal ball for Brandon Rose to Utah

Viewing 3 reply threads

Dresden_Stormblessed
      Ute Fan
      @dresden

I’m not trying to copy content, more just wanting to see what UteHub Ute fans have to say about this.

We could possibly get two QB’s this recruiting round with a very small class comparatively to other years.

What’s your take?

My guess is that we go for and keep both but highly unlikely both stay and graduate here.

Both kids look really solid and I personally think Nate Johnson has the higher ceiling.

Brandon Rose Crystal Ball to Utah

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

To me, taking two QB’s could be an indication that the staff believes there will be attrition in the QB room.

The other possibility is that Whitt is recruiting the best athletes he can at QB with the understanding that if they don’t win the starting job, other options are available. Call it the Devonte Christopher / Chase Hansen route to playing time.

Nate Johnson has already shown he is willing to play elsewhere to get on the field so that may be a possibility. However, with the advent of the Portal and the 1 free transfer rule in effect, it is riskier to bring in a kid that you are planning on playing at a position that isn’t their first choice (Jason Shelley).

mfaulk80
        Ute Fan
        @mfaulk80

This is the staff learning from Jack Tuttle, adapting to transfer rules, and growing as a program.  

Dresden_Stormblessed
        Ute Fan
        @dresden

I think the two possibilities make sense. I’m absolutely not complaining about getting 2 GREAT QB’s, I’m more interested that this year of all years we are happy with 2 QB’s given our limited recruiting spots.

Whoever rises to the top, I’m going to be happy with it. I remember several years where if/when the QB went down, I was instantly in the “Welp. Season’s over.” I think we’re finally turning that corner where the gap between QB1 & QB2 & QB3 is significantly tighter than it has been.

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

I think it makes sense to go for both QBs planning on the fact that we are going to experience attrition. Assuming Brewer starts this season, we have 4 freshman QBs on the roster (Rising, Jackson, Costelli, and Barnes). Next year I would assume that 2 of these that don’t make the 2 deep will likely transfer for playing time. Or maybe someone gets moved to another position group to get on the field. But either way it seems like with the transfer portal, a deep QB room can get wiped away quickly. In today’s world of the transfer portal, if we can get 2 solid QBs in each class, it makes sense to me to have that be the goal. It brings more competition to the QB room and we can plan on 1 of them working out and the other leaving the program…just my 2 cents

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Btw, not sure if you all have looked at Brandon Rose’s highlight reel but it’s impressive. The talent level we are attracting these days is just awesome. I know he has a lower 3* rating currently but I could see that shooting up with his senior year and getting more attention. Same with what everyone is projecting to happen with Nate Johnson after making the Elite 11 and getting more and more attention. I could see both of these QBs ending up as solid 4*s before signing.

Onlyu
          Ute Fan
          @uf8fl

Johnson will be rated a 93 when all is said and done. Rose isn’t afraid to come in and compete for a job and Utah is committing to opening up the offense more to these kids…it has to happen to take the next step so enjoy what’s coming. Just about every top program has multiple, highly rated, qb’s on the roster and that’s how we’ll proceed.

Sure some might transfer but only after they lose the job to someone else. We won’t get caught with our pants down again. The quarterback spot now looks like what a top 30 college program is supposed to look like year in and year out…get used to it.

Ghost of the HEB
        Ute Fan
        @deseretgentlman

I see Rising moving on if he doesn’t play much this year. He graduated in May. Would be eligible as a grad transfer.

Dresden_Stormblessed
        Ute Fan
        @dresden

Rising is still a freshman? Whoa…

Those 4 plus Justice as a sophomore right? Billoups has officially transferred out too as a side note.

I agree that if Rising doesn’t win the starting role this Fall, it’d be surprising if he stayed. I appreciate and respect his patience. I also appreciate Johnson’s humility to take on a different role. Rare to find in today’s QB’s.

Getting two a year makes sense since we’ve been so good (especially comparatively) in the transfer portal for other positions. I think good QB’s are the hardest to come by in the portal and that may be why we choose two and hold onto the better of the two. Brutal but better for the team.

Dresden_Stormblessed
        Ute Fan
        @dresden

)Was supposed to reply here…Not sure what happened.

From below….)

Rising is still a freshman? Whoa…

Those 4 plus Justice as a sophomore right? Billoups has officially transferred out too as a side note.

I agree that if Rising doesn’t win the starting role this Fall, it’d be surprising if he stayed. I appreciate and respect his patience. I also appreciate Johnson’s humility to take on a different role. Rare to find in today’s QB’s.

Getting two a year makes sense since we’ve been so good (especially comparatively) in the transfer portal for other positions. I think good QB’s are the hardest to come by in the portal and that may be why we choose two and hold onto the better of the two. Brutal but better for the team.

UteBacker
          Ute Fan
          @utebacker

Dresden- Rising is a Sophomore and Justice is a Freshman…

CB
          Ute Fan
          @solidhobo

Justice entered the transfer portal a few weeks ago

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Correct me if I’m wrong. But I believe the one time transfer play immediately rule only applies to this year 2021. All other years you would have to sit out a year unless you’re a grad transfer.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

The new rule is everyone gets a free transfer. This year, everyone gets a free covid transfer. If you were on a roster last year, you get one more free transfer, so you get two.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Crystal ball for Brandon Rose to Utah