Darnold and Rosen have both declared for the draft it seems.

Viewing 2 reply threads

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

New York or Cleveland?

Darnold has Cleveland QB all over him IMO. 

cbmute
      Ute Fan
      @cbmute

I think Rosen is more likely to be a bust than Darnold.  Having said that I’m not sure I think Darnold is going to be all that great in the NFL either.  He turns the ball over way too much.  Rosen isn’t going to last health wise.  And I think he is too stupid to be an NFL QB. Meaning public relations stupid, not book smarts.  

One thing is for sure. I’m glad they both left college. 

KiYi-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @kiyi-ute

Darnold is the next in a long line of USC QB busts. (In no particular order) Sanchez, Barkley, Castle, Leinart, and Darnold. 

But hey, kid is still gonna make more money than I ever will, so props to him. 

alharmon
          @alharmon

Don’t forget Cody Kessler! 

Red Don
        Ute Fan
        @reddon

I think Rosen is more likely to be a bust than Darnold.  Having said that I’m not sure I think Darnold is going to be all that great in the NFL either.  He turns the ball over way too much.  Rosen isn’t going to last health wise.  And I think he is too stupid to be an NFL QB. Meaning public relations stupid, not book smarts.  

One thing is for sure. I’m glad they both left college. 

I don’t see Rosen holding up physically in NFL.  He’s been beat up pretty bad at college level.  Pros will work him over.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Yes I don’t understand the hype either.  It also seems like NFL scouts never really learn on what makes a great QB.  Some of the tops picks have really fizzled in my opinion.  Goff has really came into his own because he has Gurley.  I can’t think of a situation where Darnold of Rosen will succeed.  The Browns really shouldn’t waste that top pick on a QB again.  Drafting the best OL should be there goal. Kizer isn’t awful he just needs to stay upright somehow. 

NFL scouts will do it again and put so much on these two guys.  Who look to have all of those abilities but can they stay healthy in Rosen’s case.  Darnold I have no clue why people love him.  He did catch fire against Utah and I have seen him do great things. Yet sometimes I wonder if it is just the talent around him doing what they do best. So you would think a USC QB would just do awesome in the NFL with all the talent they have around them? No the case at all as there transitions have been rough. 

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

Seems to me the best NFL QBs had at least 1 full year as a protoge to learn systems and get practice at NFL speeds before being fed to the DL sharks (Favre, Brady, Rodgers, etc).   When a team uses a high draft pick on a QB they often have other problems, such as an OL that can’t protect a QB and its extremely difficult for a rookie QB to come in and make a difference in their first year, yet due to the hype and high salary they feel compelled to start the guy.

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

I’m fully convinced this is the right move for both of them, and here’s why:

Rosen – as mentioned, he won’t last health wise. Might as well go get paid, get hurt and medically retire. His draft stock cannot get any higher and if he comes back to college all that’s left is injury risk, and never making it pro or getting paid. If he goes pro he at least has that on his resume, as well as instant credibility, should he decide to go the coaching route after he medically retires. He’s smart enough to. 

Darnold – same goes for him sans the health risk. There is no upside to coming back to school. 

For elite athletes like these guys, a degree doesn’t matter. And if they do decide it does, they can always go back after a successful career, or medical retirement should they chose a traditional career post football. Degrees can be obtained any time, youth and health cannot. 

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Normally I’d agree with your assessment 100%, but I think Darnold should stay for two reasons:

1 – He’s going to end up in Cleveland and that isn’t good for anyone.

2 – He has a TON of talent, but he has some issues as well. I think he’d progress better and quicker working on his issues (reads, footwork, audibles) vs the weaker defenses of the PAC-12 than going up against NFL defenses with no help around him (again, Cleveland). 

That being said, I grew up in Ohio, and I hope he goes to Cleveland and turns them around. 

I think Rosen should go. I think he is the real deal and that he will be incredible. I don’t want him to go to NY. Just when my Eagles were getting somewhere, the Giants get another QB. 

TexanUte
      Ute Fan
      @texanute

Either one could be successful with the right coach and scheme. See the difference between Goff this year under the brilliant Sean McVay and the horribly mediocre at best Jeff Fisher. Goff looked like a total bust his first year with Fisher dropping hints that the kid was football stupid. Scheme and coaching matters with regard to potential QB success. Agree that a degree though nice for the family should be way down on the list of determining factors on whether a kid declares for the draft. As FtheY said you can go back and finish a degree, just like lots of people in real life.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Darnold and Rosen have both declared for the draft it seems.