Did anyone make it to the exhibition game tonight and want to give a report?

Viewing 3 reply threads

gandalf
      Ute Fan
      @gandalf

I’m curious about how the team looked.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

I went. We won. By like 35 or so.

They started off flat and nervous but got better as the night went on. The boys play hard and are really committed on defense. Rebounding is going to be an issue. New players I liked: Worster, Jenkins, Madsen.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Utes win 87-51, and I’m guessing that this game will tell us next to nothing. 

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

This article has a link to the box score. It looks like Both Gach has not yet cleared waivers, or whatever they call it in NCAA. Starters I’m guessing from the box score were Jenkins, Worster, Anthony, Battin, Carlson? Or perhaps Madsen was thrown in there at SG?

https://utahutes.com/news/2021/11/4/mens-basketball-cruises-past-westminster-in-exhibition.aspx

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

You are correct on the starting 5.

Also, I forgot to mention that they are a fun team to watch. They get out and run, and there are a couple guys who aren’t afraid to go to the hole in the halfcourt game. Craig Smith is as advertised…really pumped up when a guy makes a play. The chemistry seems to be genuinely good. I got to talk to a couple players after the game, and they seem like high-character men.

Definitely make sure you come out and support the team this year. The players all told me they want nothing more than to get some wins in front of a good crowd. Did you know you can get lower bowl season tickets for $120? I’m not trying to equate the two, but you can see the entire Runnin’ Utes season for the price of one football game. That’s pretty compelling.

Utephoria
        Ute Fan
        @utephoria

At the game last night, sat behind one of the new player’s family, great people. A Both Gach discussion came up about his status and this player’s family stated that the Minnesota Gophers’ new coach won’t sign the letter of release for Gach to transfer to Utah. This is one of the major snags in clearing the NCAA transfer waivers.

If true, a first time head coach, Ben Johnson, is being pretty petty in ruining Gach’s chance to play this season. How does this help Minnesota’s basketball program? Obviously Gach is not going to be playing for Minnesota this year or in the future.

One thing to admire with Coach Larry K. was he did not imploy this tactic when players left the Ute program at a high rate knowing it can only bring negativity to the basketball program and recruiting. In addition to stumping the growth of a young athelete’s career.

Again, if true (I have no means to verify it), there is a chance Gach may not be playing this season and may have to wait until next year. Which would be a bummer because the Utes could really use him this season. Hopefully this all gets worked out and soon.  

Ute Dub
          Ute Fan
          @chestercopperpot

Sucks for Gach. If a coach won’t sign, they should have to give a written statement as to the situation and let it be public domain. 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Did anyone make it to the exhibition game tonight and want to give a report?