CPIII to Falcons. Steal of the draft?

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

Daniels too!  Off to Washington.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Maybe he is a steal.  I would say that Kincaid was an even bigger steal.  Phillips’ size and slow 40 in the combine hurt him.  I hope he proves to be a great player.

UteBrook
        Ute Fan
        @utebrook

It’s funny how 4.51 is slow but if it would have been 4.49 he would have gone much higher. But all you have to do is watch him catch Smith-Ngiba from behind and punch the ball out to save the TD in the 2022 RB to know he plays fast.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

the height was probably the bigger factor. Outside corners spend their day covering 6’3 guys who run 4.4’s. I don’t think Johnson was any faster than Phillips but he was taller, had a bigger wingspan and had been a shutdown corner. Teams continually threw at Phillips in high leverage situations, usually to their detriment, but he didn’t earn the same respect as Johnson in college. And when the margins are so small at the elite level, a couple of inches of height or reach, and a 1/4 step in speed can make all the difference.

Phillips will probably play inside which isn’t as valued by NFL teams. But if he takes the Steve Smith approach and uses the perceived slight as motivation he can prove everyone who doubted him wrong. I still love the story of Smith keeping a negative draft review in his locker and he would read it right before going on the field so that he never got complacent.

FtheY
          Ute Fan
          @fthey

His original scouting report out of high school on 247 states “more quick than fast”. I think the NFL agrees, unfortunately. 

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Finally, 113