Fixing PAC12 perception

Viewing 5 reply threads

User Suspended
      @a2ute

One way of changing the national perception of the PAC12 is to start playing games in the morning/ early in the day.

As they say, out of sight out of mind. That’s the current image of PAC12 football. Broadcasting games with start times at 10:30 pm est is ridiculous and a big ask for even the most diehard east coast college football fan – let alone casual fan. Anyone staying up till 2:00 am to watch Colorado vs. Oregon St either suffers from insomnia or is high on speed.

Suck it up. Demand earlier start times and maybe the national audience will start to care

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Road to success:

1 Fire Larry Scott

2 Move HQ of the conference to affordable location. 

3 Move CCG to a better neutral field 

4 Hire new commisioner to get to the table on the new tv deals.  Without any agreements you will never get better times. 

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

5. Fix officiating…..yes perception here is reality. 

tarheelute
        Ute Fan
        @tarheelute

Officiating has been tough this year, particularly on defensive oriented teams.  Perhaps Utah should look at how UW tackled on Friday night.  I note how they lead with thier shoulders, even turning sideways as they propelled, themselves the Ute receivers. I fast forwarded through the 60-minute (PAC12 Network) version of the September UW game yesterday.   Same thing, tough hits, but seemingly legal.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

The worst hit all year was Blair’s hit on a sliding QB. What game was that?  It was late and can be perceived as an intent to hurt the player. All of the others did not warrant the full application of the targeting rule. Blair’s hit on Gaskin was a football hit from a RB. Blair’s feet were planted. Fotu’s hit wasn’t even close to late which was the original call and to review it for target was even dumber. Hansen’s hit on Colorado is exactly how you think UW tackles and it was still flagged. What I conclude from Hansen’s ejection was they want to cause harm to a young mans career and cost him the DPOY award. I can only conclude harmful intent. 

Anonymous
            Inactive

The absolute worst one was Afia’s hit on the ASU RB. The call came two plays later after ASU missed a FG and Utah’s Offense had already taken the field. It gave the Devils a 1st down inside Utah’s 2yd line. The hit was clean and the call was bs. 

tarheelute
              Ute Fan
              @tarheelute

I was at the Utah-ASU game, with family (mostly Arizona-BYU fans).  Incredibly bad call, even my BYU brother in-law agreed.  Most ASU fans would agree, if it were not for how it helped their team.  But only a smattering of booing as he left flield.  

Anonymous
                Inactive

It was on the opening drive of the game. It gave ASU momentum and a seven point lead. The Utes never truly recovered from that. 

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Actually I thought that was dumb of Afia. It was late imo as far as full application of the rule?  Idk on that. Afia shouldn’t have done it in the first place. 

1 2

Utah
                Ute Fan
                @utah

Yeah, that was a good call. He lowered his head and launched. A dumb move by Afia. 

Fotu and Hansen are the right arguments. 

Xanthis
              Ute Fan
              @xanthis

Wow your perception is way off. The call came as ASU was setting up for the FG. Afia launched and made contact with the head. 

I know PAC 12 officials suck, but they never reviewed it after plays had occurred. It has never happened ever. 

tarheelute
            Ute Fan
            @tarheelute

I was at the Colorado game with my son (a student) and some other friends (all CU grads).  None were overjoyed with the call on Hansen, as we viewed it on the jumbo tron, and there was no jeering as Hansen left the field.  The call was bad, but the defense held with its depth.  I believe the Ute coaches will have players ready next year.

Trailgoat
          Ute Fan
          @utahgoat

UW DBs flat out owned the Utah receivers. If you have the game recorded, watch the receivers when possible. Same was the case at ASU. Utah needs to be able to respond when a good defensive team slows the run game.

tarheelute
      Ute Fan
      @tarheelute

Agreed, earlier games would provide better exposure to viewers and potential recruits.   However, PAC-12 losses to Auburn, BYU, San Diego, Fresno St, Nevada, Cinncinnati and Houston, are far more detrimental to the conference, regardless of what time the games are played.  

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

SHOW UP in the postseason.  That is the first step to winning back respect.   Utah needs to put on a clinic for the rest of the conference on how to win a freakin’ bowl game.

With more respect the networks will put some Pac-12 teams on during the late afternoon or evening on the east coast.     A second problem with the late games is no one even cares about the Saturday night highlights on Sunday morning — networks start looking ahead to NFL games.

TheNuschler
      Ute Fan
      @thenuschler

Like it or not, USC has to become relevant again. Them being down sinks the conference, even if they went 9-3 or 10-2 consistently this would help (as long at Utah goes 11-1).

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Fixing PAC12 perception