Genuine question for people believe the answer is coaching change

Viewing 4 reply threads

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

If the likes of USC, Nebraska, Tennessee, etc. can’t figure out their coaching situation, what makes you think Utah can if we’re to get rid of Whitt?

Spock - I COME  IN PEACE

4 1

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

Washington, Penn State, Georgia, Texas, Michigan etc etc etc. Plenty examples of successful coaching changings and plenty of failures.

Not advocating for a change, but to say coach changes are destined for failure is false.

I would say Nebraska is an excellent example of why not to fire a coach that has had success.

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

Good examples, but mostly blue bloods. Their equivalent of a PAC12 Championship is a National Championship. Only Kirby Smart has come close to achieving this goal. So far, Harbaugh has grossly underachieved, and the jury is still out on Herman. Petersen has turned the UW program around, but the NC will likely remain elusive. 

This is not to say they are bad coaches. Just that they’re yet to achieve the set goal (NC). Outside of the storied programs, I can’t think of a recent P5 change that has taken the program to the next level (at least division championship). Leach has been great, but even he is yet to win the North and he is 1-4 in the Apple Cup.

Still, I’m not claiming that a coaching change is destined to fail. But the room for error is negligible for a program like Utah, so it cannot be an emotional response. We don’t want to be in a situation like 2017 Tennessee or Arkansas (no coaches left to choose from), or even TDS (lose a decent incumbent coach without a solid replacement in sight). If the new HC search is not anticipatory, and if the overall approach is not meticulous, chances are we are not going to land a stud who can take us to the next level.

17 1

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

Are there people actually advocating for firing Whitt after the ASU loss? If so, what complete idiots.

highlandute7
        Ute Fan
        @highlandute7

Exactly. Last week everyone was all on board. They lose and the sky is falling. Better fire the coach. Please. Its one game. They didn’t play their best and TH got hurt. Move on and let’s hope they win the next 3.

Wilson’s Mustache
        Ute Fan
        @sigmaute

I see a fair amount of people calling for him on twitter, but the vast majority are more reasonable.

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

Not as much on this board, but FB and Twitter are chock full of them.

stonguse
      Ute Fan
      @stonguse

I’m not advocating to fire Kyle but the standard for those schools is national championship or bust which has created an environment that makes it harder to get coaches to sign on.

Tenn and Nebraska also probably have an exaggerated view of themselves because of their recent legendary coaches.

By the way, I don’t really think USC has failed either except by their own standards maybe. Helton won the conference and he has 2 top ten finishes.

The standard for Utah is a different. I think the expectations here are to win the division once every 4 or 5 years and other than that just field competive teams that make bowl games.

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

I agree with the overall sentiment. Although, as far as USC goes, they’re not winning BECAUSE of Helton but DESPITE Helton.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

What makes you think Whitt will win the South. Which is the bar?  He has outperformed this year it was right there and when the Utes had all eyes on their destiny they blew it. Again. 

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

History says the chances are low. History also says the problematic area is our O. We get a new OC every year, but none of them has been a proven D1 coach (except Chow). TT seems like an improvement, but we don’t know if he is the answer yet.

Why can’t we get a top 25 OC?? I don’t know how it works in football, but if Whitt can’t get this part done, the AD and/or boosters need to step in (to guide him only with this part, not to tell him how to run a program).

Solve this part of the equation, and most of our recurring woes go away. Whitt is part of the problem, but we can’t afford to lose what he brings to the table. Unless you can bring Urban Meyer back, or have a Dan Mullen interested in the job, getting rid of Whitt is not the solution.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Genuine question for people believe the answer is coaching change