Handoff artistry.

Viewing 3 reply threads
      1 1

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

I haven’t watched the NFL for a while, but I watched the Superbowl, because at one time I was a Niners fanatic. What I noticed was that Jimmy Garoppolo is a handoff artist. Oh my goodness the handoffs, the fake handoffs, everything that happened in that backfield was so quick, and elegant…

Then I think of Huntley handing off… I know that the rpo makes that decision whether to hand off or not take a split second longer than a designed handoff, but man…

There’s a big difference between college and the pros, and it makes a huge difference in the productivity of the end result.

I hope Ludwig works on handoffs, and I hope Bentley and Rising are a little quicker, and less ungainly.

3 1

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

I would like to see us get away from the RPO completely. It hasn’t been a consistently productive play for us in years and the risk of fumble is just too great. Just hand the ball off on designed run plays and give the backs a chance to hit the hole running.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Less rpo is ok by me. The other thing that I said several times during that game was “That’s a play Utah should run!” Hope Ludwig was taking notes.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I see what you are saying but Huntley did improve in 2019. I think he ran the handoff pretty well. Other than times when the offensive line or tight end would literally whiff.  

I really didn’t like the RPO shotgun short yardage bulls**t. REALLY didn’t like it. 

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

I heard somewhere that watching the NFL will ruin the college game for you because of precision attained at the pro level.

I’d love to see the Utes add a few wrinkles to their short-yardage play calling.  It seems like we failed quite a bit when we tried to impose our will in those situations.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Handoff artistry.