Honorary Captain

Viewing 4 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

If I were in charge – I would make coach McBride an honorary captain for the Rose Bowl.  When Mac took over in 1990 our football program was in dire straits.  We were terrible.  Mac was able to change the culture and by 1994 we ended the season in the top-ten.

Mac hired a young man named Kyle Wittinghame to join his defensive staff.  The school finally rebuilt the old stadium.  Ron brought in Polynesians, missionaries, better coaches, and more.  He has remained a loyal Ute.

Without Ron McBride – we wouldn’t be going to the Rose Bowl.  He should be a part of it IMO.  Hill and Mac had a falling out, but Hill is now gone.

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

Nope, it’s gotta be momma Lowe and momma Jordan

Xanthis
        Ute Fan
        @xanthis

*Auntie Jordan. 

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Mac hired a young man named Kyle Wittinghame to join his defensive staff.

And when Kyle Wittinghame didn’t work out, Mac fired him and hired Kyle Whittingham to take his place, and the rest is history. 🙂

I agree…this would be a great time to remember McBride. MAFU forever!

Johnny
        Ute Fan
        @johnny

His dad, Fred was a badass. Back in the day when it was no big deal to watch their scrimmages, Fred was DEF BOSS. He was old school. Smacking guys around, salt tablets. All that stuff. I have ALWAYS defended Kyle and have ALWAYS stated he’s the best head coach the U has ever had. He’s seen a lot of s**t.

Uteusmc
      Ute Fan
      @uteusmc

Super dumb question-  Was that Spence Eccles on the trophy stand Friday night when they were awarded the championship trophy? 

I am figuring they always make room for one more on the trophy stand for the high donor. No doubt about it had Oregon won Phil Knight would’ve been up there in his place.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Yes that was Spence Eccles with President Randall and Mark Harlan on the stand.

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

I’m fairly sure good ole Spence has been financing the department quite a bit more than anyone. It’s like the owner of an NFL team being there on the stand.

utefansince79
            Ute Fan
            @utefansince79

Always will have great admiration and love for Mac.  Took over a program that pretty much at the bottom and got it moving back in the right direction.  And being there to witness 34-31 in Provo (first win there in a few decades) will always be my greatest sports memory.

Johnny
      Ute Fan
      @johnny

Very much agreed. He loves the U just as much as anyone. He has great stories to share as well.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Honorary Captain