How do you cope or overcome the intense nervousness while watching our game?

Viewing 12 reply threads

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

If you contribute or even lurk on this hub, I’m going to assume you’re an ardent Utah fan just like me. The wins are euphoric, but the losses take a much heavier toll. It doesn’t feel like“just a game”. Like most of you, I’m far too invested in our players, coaches, the whole program and university in general. That in itself is not a problem. But I’m wayyyyyy to nervous when I’m watching our game, to the point where I’m not able to stay calm unless it’s a blow out. Just nervousness, no rage or anything like that. Maybe it’s just my personality, but does anyone else experience this? How do you cope/overcome this?
      Still, win or lose, nervousness or not, what an amazing feeling it is to be a part of this beauty that is Utah football. Won’t have it any other way. Go Utes!!!

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Sure you are not confusing nervous for excitement?  I get so excited on game days that everything else is very dull to me. 
      College Football with Utah is just so fun. Win or lose it is just good fun. 

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

+1 on everything else feeling dull. And there is excitement, especially leading up to the game. But it’s nerve-racking once the game starts and until the outcome is not in question.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I love Utah football more than any other sport.  I love the fall season in Utah in part because of Utah football.  Over the years I have taken Utah football way too seriously.  I made it part of my identity.  When Utah loses – it hurts.  However, over the years – I have been able to tone it down a couple of notches.  I need to enjoy Utah football without allowing myself to get too upset about a bad outcome.  Otherwise, it’s just not worth it.

Got Utah – Beat the Cougars!!!

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

Amen, @proud! I might be in the former phase of your journey. But good to know you were able to take a down a notch without letting it affect your fandom. Bodes well for people like me. 

Utebeam
      Ute Fan
      @utebeam

It’s hard when they are on the cusp of being great. After that UCLA loss my expectations have been put in check and I’m much calmer. But ya, I get way to involved.

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

Yeah, the UCLA game, oddly enough helped me loosen up a bit. I think you might be right about being on the cusp of being great. I want so badly for our team/program to break through to the next level!

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

When Utah scored the 2-point conversion vs. USC, my wife and I both jumped off the couch and got some decent hang time for 40+-year-olds. It’s a crazy game. And nothing worse than investing 4 hours of your day in watching your team get beat.  

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

I was at RES! Hands down one of the best moments of my life!!

utefansince79
          Ute Fan
          @utefansince79

I feel that was the loudest I’ve ever heard Rice-Eccles.  TCU game in 2008 and the comeback against BYU in 2018 were simliar for energy level, but closing in the south end kept the noise in.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Honestly, Ever since Ty and Aaron passed, I’ve completely stopped thinking of football as more than just a game. Sure, I get excited and scream and shout when we do well, but I don’t get upset when we lose anymore.

I will NEVER forget going to the BYU v Utah game in Provo when Utah lost to BYU. I was sitting a few rows up from the Southwest corner of the end zone. I saw Aaron carry the flag, then before warm ups started he went into the endzone right in front of me, and knelt down on one knee to pray, clearly in a moment of remembrance for his friend Ty. Then just a week or two later, he was gone.

I’m a better person because of the way these boys have handle themselves. Football is fun, but it’s just a game.

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

The losses of Ty and Aaron have had a profound effect on me as well. It’s difficult to express in words really.

W16Ute
      Ute Fan
      @w16ute

Yeah this all resonates with me. I also get nervous and can’t stop pacing, standing on coffee tables or right by the TV. I’ve found it therapeutic in some ways to put a lot of energy into something that i know doesn’t matter to my day to day life and i can cope with real life things better. I’ve found a way to not let it affect the day after but it sure will ruin my day when we lose…

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

I like this idea of reframing the perspective, about looking at it from the other side. I’ll have to try it.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

I’m not your therapist, but since you appear to be looking for help…

I want to focus on this statement:

Like most of you, I’m far too invested in our players, coaches, the whole program and university in general. That in itself is not a problem.

Yes, it is a problem.

The players and coaches are not your friends. They are not your family. The football program and the university are inanimate objects. None of the above care about your level of investment.

Why did I say all of that? Because my opinion is you should invest less in players, coaches, the football program, and the university, and invest more in the things that are close to you; the things that really matter. Namely your relationships, your worthwhile pursuits, and your talents. Win or lose, tomorrow morning you will wake up and still have those things.

Am I saying you should give up all support of the players, coaches, the football program, and the university? Of course not. We’re all here because we have some level of investment. But when that investment starts affecting our mood, it’s time to consider dialing it down. I did that a while back and I’m way better off for it. I’m happy when they win, I saw “aw shucks” when they lose, and then I continue on with my day. But mostly I’m here now for the entertainment level and the desire to share that entertainment with my own “worthwhile pursuits” (namely, family and friends). And I won’t let it become more than that ever again.

Sorry to go all preachy, but it sounds like maybe it will help. Good luck to you, and go Utes!

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

Not preachy at all, @game. It’s an interesting perspective. Will require some objectivity to implement. Gives me a lot to ponder about.

EMUte#2
      Ute Fan
      @cbanders5

I take the losses hard too. Last two games. I had to get in my car and listen to the game on the radio. I will be happy when this three game stretch is over. I keep telling myself we are a 9-3 or 8-4 team this year. I hope I am wrong.

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

I also try to temper my expectations, @EM, but the excitement always gets the better of me. Helluva drug this Utah football is!

bopahull
      Ute Fan
      @bopahull

I’ve been a ute fan since the late 50s. I’ve been through great years and horrible years. 

When I was young , I fealt a lot of psycodrama induced anxiety. I learned to strongly dislike the TDS fans for their erogance. 

As I’ve aged I learned to temper my feelings and accept the outcome of games without anxiety. I came to realize it’s just a game. I love it when we win and feel dissapointment when we lose. I think I’ve mellowed enough with age not to sweat the small stuff. By the way, it’s all small stuff.

I don’t even care enough about TDS to give a s**t about their record.

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

“..it’s all small stuff” sums it up nicely.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Do what my Dad does. Record it and only watch if they win.

The losses are a lot easier for him to take if I just tell him like ripping off a band aid. Instead of 3 hrs of pain and suffering.

When Utah wins he can watch in relaxed peace

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

I will never be able to do that!! Kudos to your dad!

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

I try to remind myself that the point of all of this is to enjoy it. It works sometimes. I also think it helps to detach from losses and have realistic expectations. Some will say its pessimism, but me taking the “wait and see” approach has really helped soften the blow with this team not hitting astronomical expectations.

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

True, gotta stay realistic. Wait and see is a good approach.

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

I’m old, so I don’t have that nervous thing, but I promise we win tonight.

Utesby1
        Ute Fan
        @garykennedy

No nervousness for me. Xanax is very dependable.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football How do you cope or overcome the intense nervousness while watching our game?