Hunter Erickson…

Viewing 2 reply threads

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @utebiquitous

I attended the CSI/SLCC game this afternoon – the #2 and #4 NJCAA teams in the country. CSI controlled the game from midway through the first half to the end. The Bruins had a few opportunities to whittle the lead and perhaps gain control but couldn’t quite break through. Both teams have strong talent and could do well in the postseason.

As many know, Erickson is a starting guard for SLCC. He’s critical to their success. Perhaps the strongest part of his game are the intangibles as they say – leadership and attitude. From a skill standpoint he plays the game well (shoots when he should (most of the time) and drives and passes when the game dictates it). He’s a strong ball handler and drives well. I liked his decision-making most of the time. He’s also a strong defender and will fit into the U’s defensive culture well. He’s got enough strength to switch onto bigs and not get abused – although at 6’3″ there are limitations to how long you want him switched onto a big.

I wouldn’t call shooting a weakness but I’ve seen him three times now against good opponents and he’s average. I’d love it if someone close to him (a coach or trainer) would help him move his shot from the left side of his face to the right side (he’s a right-handed shooter). The finish/rotation on his shot is terrific but there aren’t many good shooters out there shooting the ball left to right (think Lonzo Ball). It’s never too late to improve and I think making that adjustment would do wonders for him.

I think he’ll be a solid rotation player next season. He won’t beat Rollie or Lazar out but I think he can play either guard position.

palos_verdes_ute
      Ute Fan
      @palos-verdes-ute

Neither Rollie nor Lazar are considered ‘true point guards’.  I think Sauders is more of a PG but lacks the scoring adeptness.  While I don’t think we are a team that necessitates a real point guard due to our style of play, we lack play makers or someone that can create their own shot.   

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @utebiquitous

Erickson won’t bring that to us either – not at a high D1 level. I would put Hunter in the same space as Rollie and Lazar. That’s not a bad thing. He will help us. I’m stunned that Pope let him get away. He’s developing into a solid player. I’m happy he’s going to be a Ute; but this isn’t the player that’s going to help us change the scoring droughts this team goes through time and time again.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

He fits the current team demographic 150%

He’s going to be the backup at PG/SG next season.

Worster and Madsen will start.

Many many many JC studs have failed miserably at Utah over the last decade so you just hope his 45% on threes and his nearly 3/1 assist to TO ratio translates to the D1 level

If we are going to recruit SLCC Smith needs to send Ben Carlson packing and sign SLCC PF Jaquan Scott.

At least we’ll lead the Pac12 in white guy headbands again

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @utebiquitous

I like Jaquan. I think he is committed to a D1 program east of the Mississippi. Jaquan plays a little hot – too emotional a lot of the time. He had a technical Saturday that hurt SLCC at a critical junction. He also plays the game backwards too much – dwelling on both good and poor plays way beyond what is necessary.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Hunter Erickson…