I don't get this line of thinking:

Viewing 7 reply threads

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

“The new offense will hurt the defense and Whitt won’t allow that”

I agree that Whitt won’t allow it, but why does the offense hurt the defense? I think we averaged 29.5 points per game last year.

I think this offense, if successful, helps the defense. For one, how much better is our defense if vs Cal and Oregon we score 40 points instead of 28-29?

If we jump out to a 14 point lead, how much easier is it for Scalley to call plays?

If we are up 14 in the fourth, can’t you simplify the defense, and blitz a lot more making your defense better?

I think this “reason” is lazy. Sure, if Utah had Stanford’s offense, grind it out with a very efficient QB, then this offense would hurt.

But our offense has never helped the defense out anyways. So, people think scoring more points and being more efficient in the red zone will hurt us?

I don’t buy it.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

One way to take the pressure off your defense is to slow the game by controlling the ball. McBride did this a lot against BYU. Not only did it help your defense rest, but it helps in taking the opposing offense out of rhythm. A quicker paced offense means your defense gets less rest between series and the opposing offense has less time to “coo” off.

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

that presumes, however, the offense goes quick every down always. Taylor has indicated that he won’t go fast unless and until they get a first down/big gainer.

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan

It’s too much of an oversimplification.  Who said it anyway?  I feel like it only puts pressure on a defense if the defense is lacking.  Look at Baylor for the past few years.  They had some athletes, sure, but the defense was substandard especially the most recent year, so they could only win if they scored.  Teams like that always lose if the offense stagnates.  The Louisville v. Houston game last year is a perfect example.  Great defenses create opportunities to score, syngergizing with the offense.  Feels like another example of someone who doesn’t understand football.  Sure, offense can control the tempo, and get opponents out of rhythm, but it seems like Whittingham has adopted Taylor’s offense fully, whatever that entails.  Is that Jon Wilner’s ignorance on display again?

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

So, for almost any other team I think this idea of a fast offense hurting the defense is a legit concern. However, Utah defense is built to withstand the pain of an at incompetent offense. Our defense has kept us in, and won for us, many games that would’ve otherwise been blowouts.

My view is that if this new offense is only slightly better than a dumpster fire ( which it often has been, let’s be honest) this team will be scary.

Chidojuan
        Ute Fan
        @chidojuan

I agree, and again, it’s only an issue if your defense is bad.  Going to more examples, look at Oregon for Marcus Mariota’s last year, and then the year after.  The defense went from middling that year, to non existent the year after, and we all know where that got them.  Even with superstars like Deforest Buckner.  Any improvement in one will aid the other.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

Most of the people who say that were the same ones who were screaming that Whitt should have been fired after back-to-back 5-7 seasons.

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

I don’t get it either. All I see is upside. 

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

It the recent past it seemed the defense was harmed most by the oh-fense going 3-and-out after a long drive by the opposition putting the defense back on the field before they could recover.

If the offense puts the defense back on the field by scoring quickly at least there is less pressure on the defense.  I don’t think the Taylor oh-fense is all about going fast.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

It’s not at all. ARod ran 72 plays per game on average. Taylor ran 78. That is not a huge difference at all. It’s 1-2 extra drives a game, or 1-2 less three and outs per game. 

Our defense is so good, and our offense has been so bad, I don’t think an offense that runs 5 plays and gets a TD will be worse than a 3 and out offense with no points. 

But, call me crazy. 

COFfrom83
      Ute Fan
      @coffrom83

when your tailback handles the ball on almost as many plays as the center, I don’t care if he is playing in the NFL now, that’s too d@mn much, and it’s no wonder the ground-to-powder team is burnt out by November. ANY offense that adds more diversity, spreads the ball, and does not rely on one feature back can do nothing but aid the entire team, with the possible exception of the punt team

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I don't get this line of thinking: