I have a confession to make

Viewing 3 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I had lowered my expectations for this season to the point that I had no expectations of accomplishing anything of significance.  I didn’t jump off the bandwagon of being a big Ute fan, but lowering expectations can make it easier.

I did something I don’t often do – I drank the preseason kool-aid.  So many projected the Utes to be great and we had a proven, senior QB.  The Weber game did nothing to raise or lower my expectations.  Honestly, the BYU game hurt but I wrote it off as an aberration that can happen in a rivalry game.  The SDSU game, however, made me think that this team just wasn’t that good.  (SDSU has turned out better than expected, but still…) The first 45 minutes of the WSU game confirmed to me that we were just not that good.

Then came the USC game.  We played well offensively and it gave me some hope.  But, USC is a hot mess, so did that performance mean anything?  So, I went into the ASU game with limited expectations but some hope.  The first half seemed to confirm that we are a young, inexperienced team that just isn’t ready for prime time.

Then, the best half of football that the Utes have played in a long time (maybe ever) happened.  How does it get any better?  We had four possession and four long drives for touchdowns.  The defense did not let ASU inside the red-zone.

Now, we are all of a sudden the only undefeated team in PAC12 conference play.  We control our own destiny.  Honestly, I do not know what to expect.  Has this young team come around?  I do not feel the same about this team as I did the 2019 team.  They were experienced, pretty consistent, and very good.  

I hope this team continues down the path that we saw in the second half on Saturday.  I don’t expect that, however.  The first half of the ASU game still haunts me.  I believe that this team has enough talent to beat any team left on our schedule including Oregon.  However, which team will show up.

I am hoping for a 10-2 season and expecting 8-4.

Sorry about the rambling – just expressing my thoughts about this roller coaster of a season.

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

Thank you for your thoughts. I appreciate reading them.

I go into every season with very low expectations.

This is college football and we are not a re-load every year powerhouse. So, every win is special to me and every season is enjoyable to me, no matter the W-L record. I love my alma mater.

Go, Utes.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Yup, been a Utah football fan back to the walk up at halftime and sit mid level on the 40 yard line days. I know some of you have been here longer than I. My first Utah game was Utah losing to Idaho in 1993 coached by John L. Smith who IIRC is the uncle of Alex Smith. 

Still a lot of football left. I usually expect 1-2 WTF loses and lets keep it real, Utah has been in control of their destiny in the past only to choke games away late in the season they should of to won to win the South. This team is focused and on a mission with a ton of young talent getting better each week. 

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

FWIW, UCLA controls their own destiny too.

Trailgoat
        Ute Fan
        @utahgoat

Next two weeks are HUGE for Utah. Best case scenario UCLA loses to Oregon and Utah takes care of business on the road at OS and at home against UCLA. Utah has a tough road ahead, but playing UCLA at home is crucial to win the South.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

Do they? I need to look up the tie-breaker rules again but I believe in the event that UCLA beats Utah, it creates a 3 way tie with ASU at one loss. Each would have a win and a loss against the other two so it would then go to overall record which would knock Utah out. At that point, ASU would then have the tie breaker since they beat UCLA.

This assumes all 3 win out with the exception of the UCLA/Utah game and the tie breaker rules get pretty screwy. I think at some point they finally give up and go alphabetically which is so Larry Scott it defines the Larry Scott era.

PrudentUte
          Ute Fan
          @davidclarkepruden

As I have grown older I always try and hold down my sporting expectations and enjoy the moment. After all, a week ago some “expert” prognosticators were suggesting we might have an outside change of getting a bid to the December 15th Dr. Scholl’s Swollen Instep Bowl. What a difference a week makes. It will be interesting to see how the season and the post-season play out. In the meantime, I consider every opportunity to be with my family and watch my team play as a blessing and am always proud to say, Go Utes!  

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

UCLA and ASU have not lost their last game this season. ASU will beat Az., however, all their remaining games will be up for grabs. UCLA should loose to Oregon. If Utah wins their next two games it will wrap up the southern division even leaving room for a loss to Oregon. I don’t expect USC to remain in this level of disarray. The players will settle down. become mean and be competitive coming down the stretch. It will be interesting if they can do the conference a favor and make their ND game a positive.

If you go back and watch the SDS game, the 4th quarter was the same OL, same WRs, same OC, but the QB change changed everything. Rising was a better option but in addition he caused waves that went thru the offense and picked up everyone to an improved level of play. Rising wins that game if he is given even another quarter. That was the start for the current team led by Rising. He has 3 games played that he started and, I hope, is still on a steep improvement curve. Several freshmen are in the same spot primed for improved play.

This week I hope Utah practices on very wet grass with balls that have been in buckets of water. Keep the high level of unity they currently have going. I would love to see the cast come off Davis. Get the cleats right for Saturday. Go Utes

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I have a confession to make