I’d like to see us schedule home and homes with some of the old MWC teams.

Viewing 4 reply threads

stonguse
      Ute Fan
      @stonguse

They aren’t slouches and the games would be more than the glorified exhibition games we’ve played (minus Butler/Xavier/UVU)

Big Kahuna
      Ute Fan
      @bigkahuna

I think that we need to have a stronger OOC schedule. Understand that with all the turnover this year scheduling tough was not prudent. That said a tougher schedule might of had us better prepared for Butler and Xavier

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Aren’t the scedules done much farther in advance, farther than we would have known about the turnover?

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Football is done far in advance. Basketball is typically done very close to the season. Basketball is almost done year to year. 

FountainofUte
      Ute Fan
      @fountainofute

It seems like if you have to hedge one way or the other it would make more sense to lean toward overscheduling than underscheduling, wouldn’t it? That team three years ago (Delon’s jr. year) was another one where LK scheduled light, and it seemed to keep us out of the NCAA’s. We had the wins, but zero resume. And we folded like a chair in the NIT @ St. Mary’s.

TheJuggernaut
      Ute Fan
      @thejuggernaut

K knows what he’s doing scheduling wise, but I agree that this year has been too light, as was Delon’s first year. That being said our OOC schedule two years ago was ranked #9 in the country, and last year our OOC SOS was #25 (as of today our OOC rank this season is #156, three years ago, as mentioned above, our OOC SOS was #178).

IMO Larry overcompensates his OOC scheduling on “rebuilding” years, or years where a good portion of the team is made up of unknowns, like this year. His thinking is probably along the lines of get some early wins, build the confidence of a team with a lot of new parts, and set ourselves up for the postseason. On the other hand in years where we have known commodities returning (like what we’ll see next year, with Bonam the only major contributor graduating), Larry seems to load up on OOC challenges. I’m hoping for a nice OOC schedule next season, to challenge the team and really find out what we have.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

I think this year was more about giving the team time to gel in “scrimmage” type play against teams that shouldn’t present as much of a challenge. Keep in mind we had two (count ’em, 2) players return from last year’s roster. This team still needed to get to know each other in game type situations, and no, not just in scrimmages against each other. Hence this was more than just a “rebuilding” year – this was a year with a whole new crop of people.

Another note – next year it’s not just that Bonham is the only major contributor graduating, he is THE ONLY contributor graduating. I don’t see a situation where absolutely all of the other players stay, but wow, if they did… a full year getting to know each other and learn the system, and then unleash that talent on the rest of the PAC-12? Yep. Fun.

We are STACKED for the next few years. STACKED. Goodness.

TheJuggernaut
        Ute Fan
        @thejuggernaut

Gabe Bealer also graduates, hence the disclaimer “major contributor”.

leftyjace
          Ute Fan
          @leftyjace

ACK! You are absolutely right! My bad.

TheJuggernaut
            Ute Fan
            @thejuggernaut

Your point remains, we have a chance to be really good next year.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) I’d like to see us schedule home and homes with some of the old MWC teams.