illegal man downfield justneeds to be abolished. The call is just so incredibly

Viewing 3 reply threads

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

inconsistent. Ohio State drew up some creative stuff, (you can find the set-up of this play here, https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/film-study/2022/01/128417/film-study-jaxon-smith-njigba-was-the-centerpiece-of-ohio-states-rose-bowl-game-plan-and-he-didnt) but there are two Ohio State offensive lineman blocking 5 yards downfield on this OSU touchdown https://streamable.com/f35iev

If the call is impossible to be enforced correctly, just allow all football players to be wherever they want downfield, even if they arent eligible to receive a catch. Because the inconsistent application of the rule is screwing teams when they decide to arbitrarily call it.

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

I saw one play where there were two men downfield, but it wasn’t egregious as it had very little impact on the play. (Addendum) The only play I saw two OSU lineman down field on was an out/up route where the receiver had already gotten the advantage on our CB along the sideline. Not really sure what benefit was gained there, but generally OL downfield can provide a huge advantage. (end addendum)

What I saw was Devin Lloyd seemed to be moving slow on that one crossing route. Not typical for him picking up a receiver going across the field. Was Lloyd hurt? I haven’t rewatched the game, but that one play makes me wonder if he was at 100%.

W16Ute
        Ute Fan
        @w16ute

I don’t think he was hurt but to me it seemed he was in coverage basically every down to try to compensate for the secondary and therefore less effective.

It seemed to me the whole defense was working to compensate for Bernard being on that side. (Not criticizing Bernard to be clear)

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

I dont think allowing a tackle to release down field to bloch a CB off of a WR running a crossing route would be a good idea

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

that would still be opi

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

On passing plays I don’t think any offensive blocker should be allowed past the LOS until the ball is thrown.  I guess I am the opposite of you. I think they need to give back some defense in this age of ridiculous passing. 

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

I agree. Defenses would cease to exist if you can play action with 5 O-Lineman run blocking 10 yards downfield and then you get to throw a pass out of it. 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football illegal man downfield justneeds to be abolished. The call is just so incredibly