Is anyone a little concerned about Whittingham being poached…

Viewing 12 reply threads
      1 1

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

Honestly, I think Whit is a lifer at Utah and there’s a very slim chance of him leaving. But if I’m USC or FSU, I’d think long and hard about trying to pry Whittingham away from Utah. He’s a low risk, high reward hire.  He’s shown what he can do with lesser talent, shown he can build a winning program and establish a culture, etc.  It’d be a no brainer If I were at SC and FSU to at least probe his interest. It’s a lot lower risk than going with some first time head coach former Bama coordinator or a G5 flash in the pan.

Parenthetically, if I were Colorado State I’d fire Bobo immediately and try to hire Morgan Scalley. 

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

I worry about everything all the time, so yes. But if presented with a bet, I would bet on Whit never leaving Utah. Those opportunities have come before and were turned down. I would be surprised if he, after bringing the program along this far and at this stage in his career, went to another college program.

Scalley… I think his preference would be to stay at Utah forever. That said, money can be persuasive. And he may feel as though his shot at becoming Whit’s replacement in the future would be strengthened by getting experience elsewhere. My opinion though, is if Scalley stays, he will have a great shot at becoming Whit’s replacement (assuming Whit is around for another 5 years).

AlohaUte
        Ute Fan
        @alohaute

If Scalley were to leave this season and found some success at a G-5 school, I could totally see him coming back to the U when Whit retires.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

I’m worried more about Scalley moving up.

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

Zero concern.  He’s a couple of years from retirement.  He’s in his comfort zone at Utah.  His family is here.  He has a great contract that extends into retirement.

Rest easy, Whitt isn’t going anywhere.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

There really is no retirement age for head football coaches.

UteFanatic
          Ute Fan
          @utefanatic

Point taken.  However, for Whitt, it’s a self-imposed retirement.  He’s stated on countless occasions over the last 5-7 years that he doesn’t want to coach too far into his 60s.  Maybe that changes as he gets older, but that’s what he has said multiple times.

pedro
            Ute Fan
            @pedro

He also stated at PAC12 media days that Ludwing will be the last OC he hires.  

rbmw263
          Ute Fan
          @rbmw263

Whitt has said multiple times recently that he doesnt know when he will retire but “its unlikely hes still coaching at 65”

1 4

User Suspended
        @a2ute

I’m wondering if his “few years from retirement” is affecting current recruiting?  Recruits might be looking two years down the road and wondering what the head coach status looks like?   

UteFanatic
          Ute Fan
          @utefanatic

Doubt it. It’s rare for 18-year-olds to think 2 weeks ahead, let alone years.

BulgieUte
          Ute Fan
          @bulgieute

The horse is dead, shut up.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Nope.

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

Nope and I think he’ll coach another 8 years or so.

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

I stopped worrying about Whitt leaving back when we were still in the MWC and he turned down the Tennessee offer that would have at least doubled his salary at the time.

He’s a Utah Man until he dies (or retires).

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

I used too. But whit is done in 4-5 years. His kids are here, grandkids are here, life is here. He’s comfortable and would leave on his own terms have say in the program and have an awesome retirement package. Plus he just got things the way he wants them. He recruits the kids he wants, has his OC, is destroying TDS. Plus the boosters will have him a raise even though Whit isn’t a “money guy” pursay. FSU and USC are hot messes you really want to walk into that mess when you’re going to retire in 4-5 years. It would take at least 2-3 to build the teams the way Whit wants them built and those fan bases and/or schools want it done sooner. Easy answer no. But look for Whitt’s a gent to leverage this into more money. Which he should.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Whit spoke at a small chamber meeting a few years back. He said he didn’t want to coach in his sixties. 

Morgan Scalley could use sometime cutting his teeth somewhere else. However with Whits lifetime deal he probably feels like he is a successor to the program. I honestly like Scalley to take over. He is a Utah man and it would be awesome to have basically a younger Whitt take over. It won’t be without growing pains. Scalley has been with some great coaches in his time at Utah. All that being said Scalley’s wife would need to be one to be sold on a new life. She loves it where she is at and doesn’t want anything more than to be where she is at. 

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I also think we have maybe three more years of Whitt. He wants to leave with most of the records at Utah. They should name the South End Zone project after him and put a statue up. 

AlohaUte
        Ute Fan
        @alohaute

He’s definitely earned both a statue and the field named after him when he retires.

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

They better get his calves right.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

I think I said this before but they should carve giant calves for the supports instead of regular pillars. 

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Whitts contract sets him up nicely for retirement. He gets something like $300 k a year if he retires from Utah and takes in an advisory role with minimal work. I cam see him interviewing with other schools only to work out a better deal for him and his staff.

As far as SC goes, that’s not Whitt. The traffic, the city, the entitled brats etc. He likes his outdoor time.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

Exactly right. Whitt has already set up his next job in his contract. He will be working in the Utah Athletic Department. It will happen at a time of his choosing and is likely down the road some. With that in mind, I expect he will have a lot to say about who the next coach will be. I have no idea what his thinking will be but if he likes one of his own guys that will go a very long way. I think Harlan knew that coming in and I expect he welcomes Whitt’s help with anything FB related. Plenty of other places to also focus on.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Not the least bit worried.
      1. He’s too close to retirement age, and money is not an issue for him.
      2. He doesn’t want to relocate.

Honestly, I’m more worried about KW retiring early than taking a different job. He said earlier this year that Ludwig is going to be his last OC. So what if Ludwig gets hired away at the end of this year? *gulp*

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Florida St wants someone quickly who can jump in right now and save the recruiting season. A Coach sitting around doing nothing who could do that is Bob Stoops.

Whit could win a national championship at SC within 5 years but he’s not Hollywood (flashy) enough for the Boosters there.

So No not worried at all.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Is anyone a little concerned about Whittingham being poached…